Gibson Brands Forums

Hendrix

baxter

I know this the sg part of the gibson forum but I have a few questions about Hendrix?

Does anyone know what type of pick and strings he used or does anyone know any other details they think most would not know?

Thanks.

I hate to say it but most info on Hendrix is pretty much known depending on what source you are willing to believe. As far as strings go Rotosound used to calim that the "Jimi Hendrix Experience" used their strings exclusivly. Take that for what it's worth. It's always been my understanding that Jimi liked to keep up on all the new toys etc. so he was always trying out new equipment. I can only imagine that this would include strings and picks as well.

Whilst Jimi, of course, mainly played strats, Jimi started using a flying V in 1967 for some numbers on stage & in the studio. I have even seen him pictured playing a black upside-down Les Paul circa 1968. That looked weird! In 1969 he played the white SG Custom a bit. In 1970 he was using a different flying V a bit. Tended to prefer the Gibsons for his blues numbers & new funkier sound eg Dolly Dagger sounds like humbucker tone to me and he played it live at Isle of Wight with the flying V.

Strings & picks? I had heard that he used Fender stuff, or whatever was around at the time/his location.

But his sound/tone didn't come from his equipment, it came from his brain & hands/fingers. He'd make any guitar/strings/amp set-up sound good. He was a musical genius and best electric guitarist ever. It was a terrible loss to the world.

If he were alive today he'd be 65. It would be great to still have him around now as an elder statesman commenting on the musical/guitar landscape. Or playing cameo gigs now & then. But generation after generation still have such love & admiration for Jimi & his music that in a sense he's still with us and he's achieved immortality.

on the back of an ernie ball pack of strings it has all the artists that use their strings and jimi hendrix is on there. As for his other guitars' date=' he had his strat (obviously) along with a sg, les paul and a flying v as far as i know.[/quote']God Im going blind, the reason I asked is because I never saw it on there.

Also, Ive seen that picture of him with that Les Paul it was somewhere on Google Images Im sure if you looked you could find it.

Yes, I think I must be going blind too, because I just checked a recent pack of Ernie Ball's and JH aint on there. I didn't expect he would be as I never recalled Jimi being an Ernie Ball ("marketing") artist. Having said that he might have used 'em anyway. The man/machine aspect of Jimi's playing/music was probably 95%/5%, so who cares.

Yeah, I remember seeing a picture of Jimi (backstage I think) with the LP junior.

Jimi would probably make a banjo sound good. Or a few pieces of wire nailed to a wall. In the late sixties musical genius was spelt J-I-M-I H-E-N-D-R-I-X.

Archived