Gibson Brands Forums

Uggggghhh..... Guitar Center

Boston004681

So I was at GC today looking at drums(yes, drums, so the band can rehearse at my house). I came in about half-an-hour after they opened. So I started playing a set I thought i might buy. The salesguy yells at me, and says, "please don't play the drums. It's too early". The time was around 10:30-11:00, and i was thinking, "Ok. If 11:00 is early, i wonder when you woke up this morning." (No. 1) So I let that one go, went and played some guitars, and came back half-an-hour later. Now, there is a line in front of the desk. so there's this guy standing in line, and he brought his brother(?), and 3-year-old daughter. His daughter is crying because she wants to go home and see her mom.(No. 2) So i went and played that set again, and now his excuse is, "I can't hear these customers!" I was thinking, "I'm a customer too, and if you want to sell these drums, you will let me play them! And you just lost a customer. (No.3)

On a completely different note, I was in Guitar Center today, to check on the used inventory, and was quite pleased.

I played two different Gibson acoustics (a J-45 and a Songwriter with about five words following it), both of which were incredibly nice. I played three other Gibsons, but they weren't quite as good as those two.

Their electric guitar selection was a bit lacking, compared to how it usually is, but I wasn't really looking at many of them. They did have a used Epiphone Lucille which I played briefly, as well as a Gretsch Electromatic something-or-other that I liked. They didn't have any hollowbody basses, unfortunately, so I didn't play any.

Maybe the store here is much better than yours, but I've never had any bad experiences.

In my 20 years of dealing with those *** holes in a dozen stores across several states, there's only one guy I can recommend. His name is Andy Besecke and he's now manager of some store in California.

Hope they haven't sucked the integrity out of him - yet...

You will find most of the bass at the local Guitar Centers in California, in bad condition. All need proper action adjustment and a good cleaning. There is not and I mean NOT one bass I can play with out having my fingers cramp up from pressing to hard and getting a myself checked for tetanus.

Archived