Gibson Brands Forums

oh well

deepblue

Well I guess it was bound to happen.

I got my bushings almost into my Fender neck. For those last few mm's I used channel lock pliers.

Thought I padded the jaws well enough.....guess what?...nope.

The wood is fine, but the bushing look a little chewed on top.

Theyre cheap, so ill get new ones. Ill pop the old ones out and I hope this time the new ones will pop in a tad easier

since I already seated them.

Im not handy fellas...not at all.

Did you use any of the recomendations to open the holes a little ? An easy method is to get a sheet of 100 grit sand paper

and roll a 4 to 6 inch strip to fit in the hole and then just twist it back and forth. Oh and you can use a soft

piece of wood and hit that with a mallet into the bushing to seat it.

Did you use any of the recomendations to open the holes a little ? An easy method is to get a sheet of 100 grit sand paper

and roll a 4 to 6 inch strip to fit in the hole and then just twist it back and forth. Oh and you can use a soft

...That's what she said.

I was doing well. I bought a dowel, wrapped it in fine sandpaper. Worked at each hole untill the bushing went it just a tad.

Then tapped it in with a dowel end and a mallet. It was the last mm that screwed me up.

As I said, at least now the new bushings will go in easier as the tracks have already been laid.

I have learned a lesson boys.

To get old bushings out, I push a center punch into the bushing (from the string post side) and roll it in a circular motion. Picture yourself digging post holes with a crowbar.... that rocking/rolling motion. Don't go nuts with it, just enough to loosen them. The bushings usually wiggle out with no chips. If you try to push it out from the back side there's a good chance of chipping.

I use a c-clamp to put bushings in, padded with leather squares. I cut up an old leather belt into squares and keep a dish of them in a shop drawer. I use them for any/all padding when clamping.

Archived