Gibson Brands Forums

Savoy Brown

Californiaman

Great band have all their albums. In fact I was just listening to Lions Share while working out. You have to hear Second Try and Shot in the head. Tell Moma was the first song I learned to play slide on.

Tell Moma

Shot in the Head

CW

of course the Savoy Brown Rhythm section with Roger Earl moved on to form Foghat, and they continue to tour today

www.foghat.net

http://www.foghat.net/rogbio.htm

"At 17 Roger joined his first band, a Blues R & B Band called the TRAMPS, made up of school friends Dave Hutchins, Ray Dorset and **** Howe. They were together in various forms for about three years. They became the backup band for Jackie Edwards, who was signed to Island Records and had written numerous hit records including 'Keep on Running' by SPENCER DAVIS. He was a great guy to play with. Ray Dorset eventually formed a hugely successful band with Colin Earl called MUNGO JERRY.

Roger left school at 16 to pursue a career in commercial art in London. to support his ‘drum & cymbal habit’. He did this for about 4 years (quite successfully) until he joined SAVOY BROWN at the age of 20 ("I didn’t receive payment for the first 6 weeks from SAVOY but at least I was ‘semi-pro’. I continued auditioning for other bands during lunch hours and after work during this time because I still wasn’t sure I had the job") He auditioned for people like The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Jimi Hendrix, among others.

His five albums with SAVOY BROWN (one of the hippest blues-rock acts on either side of the Atlantic) between 1968 and 1970, were ‘Getting to the Point’, ‘A Step Further’, ‘Raw Sienna’ (which became a British Blues Classic), "Blue Matter’ and ‘Looking In’.

During a couple of lunchtime sessions, Roger, Dave Peverett, Colin Earl, Bob Hall (Savoy’s Pianist) and others, cut a rockabilly album called "Warren Phillips and the Rockets. He also played drums on Chris Jagger’s first album and Mungo Jerry’s debut album in 1970.

SAVOY BROWN did their first U.S. tour in 1968 with greats like B.B. King, Albert King, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Charlie Musselwhite, the J.Geils Band and saw great artists like Bobby Blue Band and Buddy Guy. After touring the U.S. he knew he ‘was home’.

In December of 1970, Roger and Dave Peverett left SAVOY BROWN to form FOGHAT. They hooked up with Rod Price and released their first record in 1972 on the Bearsville Label (a subsidiary of Warner Brothers) and followed with their first U.S. tour. They became an immediate success, following up the gold debut with lots of other gold albums....Rock n’ Roll, Energized, Rock n’ Roll Outlaws. 1975’s Fool for the City, which included ‘Slow Ride’, made them superstars. They continued the gold with Night Shift, their 1977 ‘Foghat Live’ (which went Double Platinum) and Stone Blue. "

And original Savoy Brown guitarist Kim Simmonds continues touring either solo or as Savoy Brown

http://www.savoybrown.com/KSindex2.html

I saw them live in the early 70's in Pensacola at a club called the Barrel's. They turned me on to the British Blues rock scene' date=' and I have been a fan ever since.[/quote']

Funny you mention that, I also saw them in Pensacola in 1972 at the University of West Florida. They played with Fleetwood Mac (original band) and Long John Baldry.

Wow, that was a long time ago. Could it have been at the same time I wonder?

Funny you mention that' date=' I also saw them in Pensacola in 1972 at the University of West Florida. They played with Fleetwood Mac (original band) and Long John Baldry.

Wow, that was a long time ago. Could it have been at the same time I wonder?[/quote']

I don't think so I was stationed in Pensacola from 72-74 and it was the later part of my tour here, and I specically remember the Barrels, because now going to work from my Guitar Lesson I pass the Barrels and now the sell Mustang Parts out of the same place.

Archived