Gibson Brands Forums

Best shortscale Gibson acoustic for playing the blues?

koahoa

Hello again everyone.I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some of you on what shortscale ,small bodied Gibson acoustics you would recommend for playing the blues,rock,r&b,folk and some jazz.I mostly play different forms of the blues but love rock and  folk music as well.I would like to be able to play all the songs I play on the electric, on the acoustic and have the action be limber enough to play some leadwork where I can bend some of the notes. Such as blues licks.Thanks.Kurt

As Jeff said. Can't go wrong there. An acosutic swiss army knife. As for Gibson's small bodies (concert size).... its harder to find a winner. The older L00 blues kings and LI Robert Johnsons were the 25.5 scale, a tighter more modern sound. More recent Bks are 24.75 butt have bubinga bodies, again a more modern sound. There are ltd runs of L00s with period correct spec but pricey. Best shot in the concert body size might be a Martin 00 (0018 = spruce/hog or 0017 0015 =all hog).

Keep in mind the sage but true saying, you can play the blues on most anything. Skip James played a D28, Brownie McGhee a D18, and Gary Davis J200s .

Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions.Its much appreciated.It can be difficult to choose when there are so many choices for short scale small bodied acoustics out there to choose from.It would difficult to try them all.Thanks again to all who have answered.

Archived