Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Furniture (work in progress)

daveinspain

Been working on a new piece of furniture for my studio and I think it's going to come out great... Here is a pic as of today. The space at the bottom is where a draw will go to store guitar related stuff, tools, polish and cleaners, strings, books...whatever. There will be a narrow top that's just wide enough to cover the guitar cases and have a little shelf like area to put some stuff on as well. I'll post more pics when it's finished.

GuitarFurniture.jpg

Very nice Dave, looks like your design allows plenty of room for more guitars. Is the top shelf going to come to the edge of the upper part of the dividers, or will it come out further to keep the dust off? Funny I think about that, now that I live in the desert. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'd need an industrial strength dust buster out here. I really like your design' date=' I may need to steal it.[/quote']

Feel free... Whats great about it is you have your guitars at your fingertips and storage at the same time. Tim is the original guitar furniture storage master and this is a "inspired by Tim" design...

No kidding, you've ripped me off once again!! lol

Nice one, Dave! I don't think the shelf on the bottom is a good idea, though. Firstly, you have to get right on the ground to access it. Secondly, you're raising the center of gravity. I think it's best to keep the bulk of the weight as low to the ground as possible. You could always use the top compartment of your other storage rack (also stolen, lol) for keeping tools, patch chords, etc., like I do.

Why only space for five guitars? I seem to recall telling you a while back to build enough slots for more guitars than you expect to own. Maybe it was Flight I said that to, I don't know? Funny how you're following in my footsteps. You built the first rack, probably thought you wouldn't need any more room and now you do.

Why only space for five guitars? I seem to recall telling you a while back to build enough slots for more guitars than you expect to own. Maybe it was Flight I said that to' date=' I don't know? Funny how you're following in my footsteps. You built the first rack, probably thought you wouldn't need any more room and now you do. [/quote']

Hey Tim, I always give your credit due... bend.gif Actually there is room for 6 guitars in this new piece. The guitar case in the photo is in the second to the last space. As far as the storage draw at the bottom goes, I most likely will be putting stuff in there that I don't need access to very often. I have so much stuff/junk in my studio I need all the storage I can muster up.... So then, do you approve? #-o

Yeah, it looks good and I guess your guitars will be angled in so they don't fall out. Mine are held straight up and I went with little gehy chains to prevent the cases from falling out. Actually, I would have lost my SG if I didn't have the chains. What colour are you going with? Same as the other one? I should have stained my second rack but left it natural.

That looks great I wish I had that kind of wood working talent......come to think of it any kind of wood making talent would be nice...#-o

I built a peg type wall mounted thing'ie with a shelf attached on the side for "stuff" and its easy to expand....as long as the wall will accommodate.

Of course it is NOT furniture by any stretch and I'm definitely not a carpenter!

and as you can see....not much of a 'house keeper either :-$

DSCN0778.jpg

That is awesome! What kind of lumber you using? 3/4" stock' date=' Birch ply or MDF? I only see one, what could be a, knot.

Looks like the dividers are of thinner stock too.[/quote']

Yeah the dividers are thinner... At first they were the same size as everything else, 2 centimeters, but because of a miscalculation I had to make the dividers 1 centimeter. I didn't account for the metal feet of the guitar cases. Just as well it's just as good with the dividers at 1 centimeter and weighs less. The wood I'm using is double faced ply wood.

Thanks, Are Nine.

It was very simple to "build" and rather cheap. Couple of boards a wood dowel a few screws and I had something that stopped me from "knocking the guitars " down like bowling pins every time I reached for a different one....

=D>

Looks cool Dave' date=' are you assembling it yourself?

I might PM you later about it, I'd like to build one for my guitars.[/quote']

Hey Thunder, I have help... I got the bottom draw done now and it will get painted next week and I'm going to line the interior, dividers and all with material so the cases don't get scratched up. I'll post more pics as it advances...

Archived