Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Christmas Songs

G McBride

I have a pattern maker that I use who played in bands many years ago like myself. When he comes over to quote jobs or to deliver a job to us, I always make sure and have a couple of acoustic guitars in the office. He and I will play for about an hour.

Today we were working on "Old Toy Train" to play for his daughter at Christmas.

What are some of your favorite Christmas songs on Acoustic Guitar?

When I'm performing with the bluegrass band, "Christmas in Dixie"is always a requested. Other songs I play at church are "Silver Bells", "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem", "We Three Kings", and of course "Silent Night". I just love Christmas! The songs, oh, the songs!!!

I was brushing up on "I'll Be Home for Christmas" today. It's a nice, melodic song with a wonderful sentiment, and is easy to play, as its mostly familiar open chord shapes.

"The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)" is another that always seems to please, and can be played with a kind of melancholy jazz feel.

Both are good quietly fingerpicked in a dark room illuminated just by the tree lights.

Nice arrangements for both of these are in a book called "Fingerpicking Christmas," which has about a dozen other beginner to intermediate arrangements, including someof the songs already mentioned in other posts. If memory serves, it was a Hal Leonard book, I think.

Red 333

I play alot of christmas songs starting about this time of year. I like them but like alot of people it seems as though I have to practice them every year. It's those tunes you think about playing but don't practice during the summer thinking you have plenty of time and then....BAM it's november already. my top five are:

1. silent night

2. christmas in dixie

3. please come home for christmas... (yea acoustic sounds great on this).

4. o holy night

5. Merry Christmas from the family (robert earl keen)

heres a link to an easy finger picking style for silent night.

I like this guys style, have learned a few good christmas tunes from his site.

[-X

Archived