Gibson Brands Forums

Getting Desperate in my 12-String Search

bkharmony

So I need - OK, "need" - to obtain a decent 12-string by the end of the year. I was gonna go with a cheap Alvarez or something, since I probably wont play it that much. I started considering a Taylor, but then I got hooked on a Guild F212 (the concert body).

I was fixin' to buy the Guild when I found that J-185 12-string on eBay about a month ago. It slipped through my fingers (stupid seller wouldn't answer my questions, and someone did a "Buy it Now" while I waited), and now I'm sick over it. I cannot find a reasonably-priced J-185 12-string anywhere.

So I'm begging the forum for some ideas where I might find one. I've had no luck on eBay or my local Craigslist. Maybe another forum? Heck, maybe someone here's ready to part with one (yeah, right).

Anyway, it's worth a shot, right?

A 185-12 is IMHO the best 12 I've played - I've played a few. If I were in the market it would definately be the one I would look for.

They are as rare as hen's teeth in the UK but worth being patient for.

The Guild is a good choice and since you've kind of decided to get one, I don't think you would be disappointed with a Guild but might kick yourself later if a 185 comes along. You could always do a trade or sell the Guild at that time if this happens.

I'll put a good word in for Takamine at this stage. Mine is certainly no 185 but is a great 12 string. So if you see a Jap built one, give it a try. It may grab you like mine did.

Why by the end of the year?

Good luck with your search.

Why by the end of the year?

I want to start a recording project that I'd really like to include a 12-string.

Thanks, Mooboo. I know you like the Songwriters. I'm aware of them, as they're really the only 12-string Gibson makes right now that isn't Custom Shop. I just don't like them.

Never get desparate about a guitar.....if you have others, play them and be patient. The right guitar will always show up. If you are desperate, you may buy a guitar that needs a lot of work, or buy one you really don't like and you won't play it.....patience grasshopper.....lol

BK...

Have a look...

Listing date is 11/05/09..

http://twincities.kaango.com/feViewAd/15564059

Yeah, I saw that last night. Couldn't be more vague. No photo, no description, no shipping info, no way to contact seller (Minnesota is quite far from me). Best I can tell, you have to register as a user with this newspaper to respond to an ad. Jeeze...

Alright, made it back. When I saw it I thought BK might be interested. Its at the Guitar Center in Rockville, MD outside of Washington DC. It is on clearance at $1599 brand new and looked to be in great shape. The rest is up to you. You might be able to name your price on this one since its on clearance.

cf5e8096.jpg

I almost played a used J-185 that sounded a lot better than my old one, a traffic J-100 on clearance at $1299 I think, and a J-45 Standard that sounded great. They also had a Custom Doves in Flight in a glass case. On a sad note, I saw a Taylor that had been hit so hard by someone it left a hole in the top. The GC employee said "oh well." You have to love Guitar Center.

I have been making the rounds of guitar store in the area since I am new around here. Its been fun shopping.

Thanks' date=' ryanfender! I really appreciate you thinking of me. It's just - as I said above - I'm looking for a J-185. I'm just not a fan of the Songwriters/Songmakers. [/quote']

My songwriter 12 is great chacun a son gout

If you Must have a J185

then

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370283314463&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeah' date=' I saw that last night. Couldn't be more vague. No photo, no description, no shipping info, no way to contact seller (Minnesota is quite far from me). Best I can tell, you have to register as a user with this newspaper to respond to an ad. Jeeze...[/quote']

Newspaper ads usually cost$$$.. There's a phone number, for the seller, in the ad. [omg]:-kt8809.gif

"MADE IN MONTANA Gibson Jumbo $1500 J185 12 string.

Source: Pioneer Press - Twin Cities

Ad Id: 15564059

Description

MADE IN MONTANA Gibson Jumbo $1500 J185 12 string $1700 Daniel 651-488-1687"

Called the dude. Seems like a real good guy. His daughter listed the guitar on Craigslist, too, and here it is:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/msg/1438119430.html

I really wants a burst, but this looks like pretty good to me. I'm-a think on it a few days.

I also told him I'd share with the forum in case anyone else was interested. He needs the dough to finish paying off a house.

Called the dude. Seems like a real good guy. His daughter listed the guitar on Craigslist' date=' too, and here it is:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/msg/1438119430.html

I really wants a burst, but this looks like pretty good to me. I'm-a think on it a few days.

I also told him I'd share with the forum in case anyone else was interested. He needs the dough to finish paying off a house.[/quote']

Wish I had the dough to help him out.

Hey, I feel bad stepping into your long thread at the last minute to scoop up the very guitar you've been looking for. I also feel bad when I beat a nut flush with a full house, but I do take the chips. So let me light a fire under you bk. I just won about 2 grand in those circumstances and it is dying to become a 12 string J-185. Hurry and buy this guitar, the very one you know you want, before I can't control this dumb wad of unearned dough.

And has anybody fromthe forum here ever gone to do a local check on a guitar another forum member was considering, you know to get an independent and maybe loyal opinion before sending a couple of grand across the Great Plains? It would even be worth some dough to have someone in Minneapolis lays eyes and hands on this guitar and report back whether it was kosher. Is anybody here from around Minneapolis?

Ok then.

Kelly

Well, Azazello, I've got one other possibility I'm looking into. I should have an answer today. Then I'm likely gonna pull the trigger on this Minneapolis J-185. Feels weird though. I'll have to come up with cold, hard cash (the guy doesn't have PayPal) and I'd basically have no recourse if he decided to be dishonest.

But if you really want it, go get it. I posted his info for a reason - so he could sell his guitar! If I was afraid someone would snatch it out from under me I wouldn't have shared the details.

I just want you to get the guitar. I wouldn't buy at that distance without a pair of eyes and ears in the field. Too much variation between examples...

But on the topic of eyes and ears in the field, shouldn't we agree to inspect things locally for one another? Seems like we'd be able to overcome alot of the anxiety of buying at distance, and there must be members all over the place. I know there's one in Bulgaria...

Hope you enjoy the guitar. I went and played some SJ 200s today and now I've got my mind set on finding the right one. Never played one before. I found it much fuller and bassier than my J-50. Also, those nifty little volume controls inside the sound hole are impressive. The guy I talked to thought it was installed after purchase, but it looked good enough to be factory. Anyone know?

Also' date=' those nifty little volume controls inside the sound hole are impressive. The guy I talked to thought it was installed after purchase, but it looked good enough to be factory. Anyone know?[/quote']

I believe you're talking about the Aura Ellipse. Those are factory, and yeah, they're pretty neat. I was seriously bummed when I found out my SJ-200 didn't have one. Apparently it's only on the upper tier guitars (not on the Modern Classics or Standards).

Archived