Gibson Brands Forums

New J-50

SC_Wannabe

I posted here for the first time last week, asking which Gibson acoustic would give me a particular sound. Several people responded with thoughtful suggestions, and in the end I had my mind set on a J-45. But last Saturday I stopped by the local Gibson dealer for some strings and saw that they had one Gibson dread -- a J-50. I strummed around on it a bit and found that it had the exact tone I was looking for. I really wasn't planning on buying, but I when I saw the price tag I couldn't help myself and it came home with me. The serial number dates production to very late 2007, so I think this one has been hanging in the shop for a little while, waiting on me. It's in pristine condition though, and I'm guessing that the tag price is lower than the current blonde J-45's since it is a year or two old (as I understand, the J-50 was phased out a year or two ago).

I'm really happy with the sound, and with light strings it almost plays itself. I put mediums on it, but I think I liked the feel and tone of the lights better. You can really hammer on this thing with the mediums, but my strumming style is softer. Maybe I'll try some light/med next as a compromise. I put some ebony pins in, and next up will be a bone saddle.

Looks wise, my initial reaction was that it is kind of ugly. I'm not a big fan of the light stained mahogany (Larrivee has the same color for their hog/sapele guitars), but it's kind of growing on me. The pics make the back look a lot more orange than it is. I love the white binding and the top is really nice with a hint of bearclaw in a couple of places. I'll probably replace the tuners with something that has white knobs. The fingerboard is a nice looking piece of rosewood, with a bit of figuring in it.

I've gone through several guitars in the past couple of years, trying to find the right one for me. After just a few days it's a bit early to tell, but I think this one may be the one. It suits my strumming/singing style very well.

j50-1.jpg

j50-2.jpg

j50-3.jpg

It's in pristine condition though' date=' and I'm guessing that the tag price is lower than the current blonde J-45's since it is a year or two old (as I understand, the J-50 was phased out a year or two ago).[/quote']

I am a little confused by this because all J-45s are a sunburst finish. A J-50 is simply a blonde J-45. The two models are the same except the finish. That being said, its a great looking guitar. Looks amazing.

Enjoy it.

Thanks for the comments. The look grows on me more every day!

I am a little confused by this because all J-45s are a sunburst finish. A J-50 is simply a blonde J-45. The two models are the same except the finish.

I'm new to Gibsons, but from what I've read they discontinued the J-50 a year or two ago and now offer the J-45 in a sunburst and natural (blonde) finish.

Thanks for the comments. The look grows on me more every day!

I'm new to Gibsons' date=' but from what I've read they discontinued the J-50 a year or two ago and now offer the J-45 in a sunburst and natural (blonde) finish.[/quote']

You may be right, who know with Gibson. Traditionally, the J-45 and the J-50 were the same guitar. Only only difference was the blonde vs sunburst finish. Still, I like the color. The back and sides have a unusual color but I like it.

I am a little confused by this because all J-45s are a sunburst finish. A J-50 is simply a blonde J-45. The two models are the same except the finish.

In recent years, the distinction appears to have been that, if it has a big late-50s-style pickguard, it's a J-50, while if it comes with a small teardrop pickguard, it's a J-45N. Who but Gibson would distinguish between two guitar models based solely on the pickguard? You gotta love these guys!!

-- Bob R

SC_Wannabe said" I really wasn't planning on buying, but I when I saw the price tag I couldn't help myself and it came home with me."

I wonder how many guitars have left a store this way?I've certainly walked out of a few places with a lighter wallet.

Nice guitar....:-

Archived