Gibson Brands Forums

I have a new "45" Thank-you for the info/Part Du .1

sjl200

To all the experienced Gibson users out there I need some insight and information.

I've been "Gassing" for a new Gibson for several months. I've looked and played several models.I need one with a 'pick-up' for several reasons. That said , I have decided on the J-45 standard. I do not care for the "stock" pick up. I think the Fishmann Aura Pro is very good and have heard and played some guitars with it. The "new" Gibson super Dove" has this system installed in Bozeman.

Question Can I get a standard J-45 with that Aura installed at the factory? If so how does one go about getting a price quote and one on the order book ? I'm not concerned with what this type installation may do to value down the road. I cannot bare the thought of "cutting" my SJ-200 to put the Aura in 'it', but if I can get a J-45 "born at the factory" that way then I'm more comfortable with the process.

Thank you all very much.

I'm sure a phone call or dropping into your local Gibson emporium and having a serious conversation could easily result in bearing fruit.

Drop into you store and explain you're serious about it and willing to leave a deposit when they can agree a price. I'm sure if they can drop one Aura Ellipse into a Songwriter/SJ-200 then it won't take much cop to glue one into a J-45.

Ask them to speak to their Gibson Rep and he should be able to make the necessary phone calls/emails.

I call Lance at E.M. Shorts in Kansas. www.wichitaband.com

2nd that -- the guys at Eat My Shorts are good to deal with. So are other outfits who deal with Gibson Montana, like:

-- FQMS in Kentucky

-- Fuller's Vintage in Houston

-- Wildwood in Colorado

-- Mandolin Bros NYNY

And right in Bozeman itself is Music Villa, also a Gibson dealer of good repute.

Call some of them up and you should get a sense of what they can do to help you in your quest.

Fred

Fullers Vintage Guitars in Houston gets my endorsement...they were great in selling me my CS 1964 J-45. If you call down there you can ask for and speak right with Jerry Fuller the owner.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Actually' date=' "Jeremy" Fuller is the son of the owner, Mike Fuller. [biggrin But either Fuller will do ya good!

I've bought five from them, and my wife is in the process of getting Number Six through their store currently.

Fred

Thank you all very much for the responses....

I wasn't sure if a special order of a regular stock item (J-45) was something Gibson does for the retail market.You can price and "build" your custom Martin Guitar on their web site but no such mention or ability at the Gibson web site.So I wasn't sure it was doable....I know money can accomplish many taskes.....

So my next question is ...

I have a Guitar Center literally(less then .5 mi) down the street from me.( I wasn't sure if any of the youngsters working their were interested in wooden Guitars although they have many hanging in the 'wood room'...)

Is GC a place to trust in getting 'your custom shop" order or would it serve me better to go to one of the smaller (as you all mentioned) stores who may have a more 'personal' relationship with the craftsmen in Montana?

Thanks again.

As you can see I have a vacancy that MUST be filled........

DSCN0778-1.jpg

Thank you all very much for the responses....

I wasn't sure if a special order of a regular stock item (J-45) was something Gibson does for the retail market.You can price and "build" your custom Martin Guitar on their web site but no such mention or ability at the Gibson web site.So I wasn't sure it was doable....I know money can accomplish many taskes.....

So my next question is ...

I have a Guitar Center literally(less then .5 mi) down the street from me.( I wasn't sure if any of the youngsters working their were interested in wooden Guitars although they have many hanging in the 'wood room'...)

Is GC a place to trust in getting 'your custom shop" order or would it serve me better to go to one of the smaller (as you all mentioned) stores who may have a more 'personal' relationship with the craftsmen in Montana?

Thanks again.

As you can see I have a vacancy that MUST be filled........

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"

No, I'd suggest that you stay away from GC for a Custom order Gibson.

Stay with one of the dealers mentioned earleir on.

Really.

Fred

Thank-you all . I e-mailed Fullers and got a rapid response.

Very impressed with their insights and ability to "meet my needs" I will give them a call

I see a J-45 in my future! :-

.......h'mmmmm trying to decide if I should sell my J-40M Martin since it is seldom played (low profile neck,not so much anymore)......I have an aversion to "selling" any guitar but it does need a 'home' where it will be played and it will help with the 45's acquisition .....................decisions,decisions,

Thanks again everyone..........

One more question...

Fullers has 2 45's one a custom shop with a tri-burst and the other a stock sunburst.

They both have the same price before any addition of electronics Other then aesthetics is there any difference or advantage to one over the other?

I appreciate any thoughts one might have .

Thanks for the help

Standard 45

Tri Burst Custom shop 45

Since I cant play'em first what would you do...Just curious

I think you'll find that if you write back to Jeremy Fuller asking him to let you know the differences between the two, he likely will. I know he was very helpful when I asked him to fill me in on technical questions I had about the CS 1964 J-45 I bought from him regarding bracing, differences with the standard model and TV model, etc. From there you just kind of gotta go with which one makes the most sense for you and which one will you simply not stop thinking about...and which one will help you musically grow.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thank you all for your insights and information and the recommendation for Fullers in Houston

What a great resource this site is....

I just "closed the deal" on a Custom Shop Tri-Burst J-45

can wait till I get it home....heres a pic

TriBurstJ45.jpg

thank you all for your help and easing the anxiety over a "mail order guitar" a first for me ....I should get it some time this week late depending on the 'electronics' arriving at Fullers ..I am having an AURA PRO by Fishmann package installed and must wait for the install.......

Archived