Gibson Brands Forums

Its nice and rare but is it really worth $14,000?

dem00n

You can ask what ever you want for any given guitar... The more you ask for, the better chance you have of getting some good money in the end. The guitars you see on ebay for 16 or 18 grand, never sell... You see the same guitars come up for auction time after time and end with 0 bids... The guitars that come up at a reasonable price end up selling but usually for between $2500 to $5500. I saw an all original 68 Les Paul Black Beauty in nice shape sell for just over $5000, great deal considering the vintage shops selling on ebay are asking like $18,000 for the same thing or not even as nice.

I think what is happening is all these guys are trying to keep the prices of vintage guitars up but no one is buying... So every now and then someone needs to move some stock to get some cash flow. More and more you see some very nice guitars go up for auction with no reserve. Here is where you can find some really good deals. If you are looking for a particular vintage guitar do a search on ebay everyday... It will come up and you can buy it at a good price if you have some extra cash and are not afraid to bid.

THAT...is for the "Bass player who has everything' date='" and can afford it! "Value" is always "relative," and/or

what the market will bear. Good luck, to him...

CB[/quote']

Yes, the one can afford it, and has no intention of playing it.

It bet it sounds like a Gibson bass.

Dave's comment brings to mind the following question:

What is vintage? What is desireable? What is a good deal?

I think it all depends on the buyer and not the seller.

Sellers right now (and I don't mean pros. tho some of them are doing it too) tend to think any old or beaten guitar is vintage and desirable stuff, and thus, a good deal at any price.

At the end the market is dictated by the buyer, if no one is willing to own a given guitar then it will not sell, no matter how low the price.

Rare and old shouldn't be automatically taken as expensive and desireable.

As example, a guy I know tried to sell a 1st edition fender mustang for 2000 last year... best offer he got was 100 bucks, ended up selling it for that after everyone told him the (non pro) refinishing job he performed with a spray can and the 3 buck pickups he installed weren't gonna help rise the price.

Agreed, TG....I've (and I'm sure we all have) seen stuff on E-bay priced

at well over "new" pricing in a retail store, for a 2-3 year old guitar, of

the same model, just because it was "used!" LOL! And, what's with all

this "relic" sssshhhtuf?! I understand the marketing concept, but...I will

never understand a buyer's thinking on that, especially being charged a

(sometimes serious) premium, for it, as well. Amazing! Want a "relic,"

buy a good used guitar (for a lot less, quite often), OR...beat it up, playing it...

like it should be done...IMHO! ;>)

CB

Archived