Gibson Brands Forums

All Hail SLASH!!!!

slashadler

because wanking can be bad' date=' cramming 50 wank chops into enough time for 5 wank chops is worse...........

when page wanks, it doesent sound like he is trying, it sounds like it is second nature for him![/quote']

I guess wanking is ok, so long as it's natural...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
because wanking can be bad' date=' cramming 50 wank chops into enough time for 5 wank chops is worse...........

when page wanks, it doesent sound like he is trying, it sounds like it is second nature for him![/quote']

Wanking implies that said wanker actually has some musical ability

When JP (post 1970-whatever) plays it just sounds like he is playing a bunch of notes, played poorly

Slash could play rings around Jimmy Page...

So could Clapton' date=' Beck, EVH, Joe Perry, David Lee Roth, Michael Jackson, Samuel L Jackson and Barack Obama

Playing the guitar is not what makes Jimmy Page amazing....

And Slash is from the 80s JESSEEEEEEE[/quote']

[biggrin][confused]#-o[confused]

#-o #-o #-o #-o

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la42R5MX_PE[/YOUTUBE]

Jimmy Page-THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No that's the thing...

He does' date=' but that ability is not playing guitar solos...

It's writing them and such, when he tries to play live

well

thats another story[/quote']

Where's my buddy, Neo when I need him

Some people just don't get live Zep.

I can't get enough of it. I listen to more live Zep than studio

This thread is very Entertaining. It went from Slash appreciation to Page Bashing. Why is it when someone mentions their favorite guitarist, another guitarist must be belittled. Page is undeniable, Slash is an *** Kickin' Blues Rocker. Page can play leads, and Slash can play leads. Neither of them are what my generation would call a "Shredder" since they use Dynamics and Phrasing like mad.

Back in 2005 I was at a Queen +Paul Rodgers concert at The Hollywood Bowl. Towards the end of the night they pull out the Bad Company classic, "Can't Get Enough". Who comes bursting on the stage but the legendary Slash, who blazes away at the doubled solo with Brian May. Talk about Rock and Roll History, Queen, Bad Co. and G&R all represented at the Historic Hollywood Bowl, a place that's heard the likes of Henri Mancini, Benny Goodman, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and the Doors. To that venue, it was but another Great Show, to this Middle Aged Blues Rocker, it was History.

Since that day I developed a real liking for Slash, but never did it wane my appreciation for Page. In fact I never considered the two at the same time 'till this thread.

A last note on Page's live playing that is on Film. Page admitted to having a Fear of Cameras Rolling when they played. He'd get nervous, just like one of us. That's why if you want to really hear a good live page you should give "How The West Was Won" a listen. Or for a good show that is actually on film, the 1975 Royal Albert Hall footage from the double Led Zeppelin DVD is superb, but still not on Par with "How The West Was Won".

OK, back to your neutral corners and come, wait for the bell, and come out swingin'.

live zep is a whole different animal' date=' amazing, impulsive, sexual, dynamic...[/quote']

I totally agree - and also extraordinarily sloppy in the guitar dept. (Not bass, mind you John Paul Jones was tight!) Seems to me one is either so moved by the emotion of the songs -- and they were great songs-- that they can easily or overlook the sloppiness, or they are so repulsed by the sloppiness that they overlook the emotion in the songs. Both are probably valid points. (Hey, I'm a Libra - we see both sides).

Personally I love Page's tone, note choice, and go for it attitude -- but I wish he were less sloppy. The whole stuttering thing just doesn't really move me. There I said it. I feel cleansed. I loved him as a kid - but as an adult it seems to me he could've tightened it up quite a bit.

This thread is very Entertaining. It went from Slash appreciation to Page Bashing.

Which makes me think...

What do you guys think of this song? (no shredding, too bad for FirstMeasure):

But seriously, what makes you think anyone who can shred can't use Dynamics and Phrasing? Some people can play MORE THAN ONE GENRE. I hate generalizations like that.

Which makes me think...

What do you guys think of this song? (no shredding' date=' too bad for FirstMeasure):

But seriously, what makes you think anyone who can shred can't use Dynamics and Phrasing? Some people can play MORE THAN ONE GENRE. I hate generalizations like that.[/quote']

Well, in the 80's when I was a Kid, that's what Shredding meant. Blazing through Diatonic Scales as fast as you could (without loosing tempo). Quite honestly I'm not sure what it means nowadays.

Archived