Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings on Your Gibson Acoustic(s)?

Greg Ferguson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything but Phosphor Bronze. Once either 80/20s or Nickels play in a bit, they lose their metallic edge quickly. Nickels, especially, play in quickly and let you hear more of the wood----they are the most transparent strings. They exert less tension on the top, so you may find that medium Nickels are fine where you might be using light PB or 80/20s.

How will change the sound if I put ultra light strings (11-52) instead of light (12-53) ?

Not so great. You need enough tension to drive the top. Cant buck the laws of physics.

Edit. Guitars are a delicate balance. Too little string tension, and there is a fall off on volume, response, tuning. Too much, and you pull the thing apart. Also the bigger the top area, the more it takes to drive it. So lights will work on, say a parlor or a long scale OM, no so much on a D28 or j200. Playing in lowered tunings also might call for a heavier string. Also bottlenecking. Case in point, I had one of those Blues Kings for a while, usually strung it with a .12 set. Sounding ok, a little thin. With .13s? Boom. Jon

I try only to think of strings as being either metallic sounding or less metallic sounding, and as being either more or less transparent (either enhancing wood tones, or dominating them). Bright is a pretty nebulous term. It seems to mean a lot of different things to a lot of different ears.

I find that the Nickels seem work best for me on mahogany bodied guitars, especially if I want more of a non-metallic, clear, dry, woody, vintage tone---and I always do.[crying]

I'm a fan of John Pearse New Mediums on my 1981 Guild D25M. I have been using the PB's and liking them but have a set of 80/20's on it now. And I do believe Modac is correct that 80/20's are quite nice once they lose their metallic sounds. I'm almost there with these 80/20's but not quite. Ringing/metallic trebles really turn me off in a hurry, this my dislike of rosewood guitars.

I was using the John pearse 80/20s on my hummingbird, but my local guitar guy told me to try the Ernie ball earthwounds. I will never look back. I was weary because I hate Ernie ball strings on my Les Paul, but these are the finest sounding strings I've ever heard and i would recommend them to anybody whose looking for a new set to try.

How would you describe the differences ?

Sustain. These strings have a great chemstry with the top, you can feel how more vibration you are getting trough the wood. The John pearse in relation to these strings sounded like the we easilly a few weeks older. The John pearse have lower lows and higher highs, but the mids never did it for me. These are nice and balanced, and the overtones are more audible. However before wearing in the overtones are quite weird.

• 3 weeks later...
Not real picky as I always forget to order strings so just grab whatever the local music shop has - as long as they are nickel wound and have a wound 3rd I am happy.

My wife prefers the Pearce PB on the J-200.

Reviving this thread to ask for some examples of nickel wound strings for my J45. What strings are you nickel-wound fan using?

Thanks.

Bo

Archived