Gibson Brands Forums

Compare Sound Of Dove To Doves In Flight

DanvillRob

Okay...after listening to M-R Gibbs, I feel TOTALLY inept! Man...what a voice!

Anyway, I wanted to let you hear the difference in sound between 4 different acoustic guitars.

My first attempt to post a video...hope this works!

I didn't do anything special, and I can really hear the difference between all these guitars when I hear them "live".

First one is the brand-new, (2008), Epiphone Ebony Hummingbird I bought for my DIL for Christmas.

http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/?action=view&current=Cap0001.flv

Second one is the brand-new, (2008), Epiphone Ebony Dove I got for my son for Christmas

http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/?action=view&current=Cap0002.flv

Third is what I'd really like you to hear. My 1979 Dove

http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/?action=view&current=Cap0004.flv

Lastly, is the 2006 Doves In Flight I got last week

http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/?action=view&current=Cap0005.flv

Mefinks I prefer the last one' date=' but it is difficult to judge because the songs are all different :)

Very enjoyable anyways[/quote']

Yeah... I kept the songs pretty simple...without any tricks....but couldn't imagine anyone having to listed to the same song 4 times..... Even someone enjoyable would get old after a couple of times!

Well' date=' I DO like the new DIF but my favourite is that 79 Dove! Three cheers for Norlin LOL All of them sound good tho'. Great playing Bob! That song on the DIF is really good to lol[/quote']

Thanks, GG... I agree... the old Dove is nice....but it's had 30 years to mellow out!

I'm enjoying the DIF, but I miss my Jubilee. I loaned it to my son and DIL 'til they get their new ones.... it's my "go-to" guitar.

That song is "I Want To Be Seduced". I think it was first done by Peggy Lee....but my version is based on Leon Redbone.

Bob

You say about M-R GIBS that the sound is big, but see:

He is a jumbo and + that M-R GIBS is "the king of the flat tops"

His sound is so stong and firm that just nails you in when you are in front of Him.

In the videos that you posted you dont strum much.

For a better jugement of the sound I prefere to hear more strumming.

+ that the first two guitars are laminate and I don't think that they can be compared with the other two Guitars.

I like much the sound of your 30 years old Dove.

This is a guitar that has been played on much and it is obvious.

But I prefere your new DIF Custom....

This is a stunning instrument!

If I only can grab it fr a minute #-o I love that guitar! Really! So beautifull.......

BTW why do you have only drednauts?

Don't you have some GAS for an SJ 200 now?

A?

Tell me - when yu saw yesterday M-R GIBS - didn't you start to think with the corner of your mind about a Christmas SJ200 present for yourself?

:-

You just got to have an SJ200 to feel the power, mate! The drednout can not give you that.

Think about it [biggrin]

You just got to have an SJ200 to feel the power' date=' mate! The drednout can not give you that.

Think about it #-o [/quote']

Actually, I started out looking for a SJ200... I LOVE the looks of that guitar, but got sidetracked with the DIF, it was just

perfect for me. I'll work on a SJ200 in about a year, (so I won't have to sleep out with the dogs), because I do like them.

I only have the Epi's there because they haven't gone to my son and DIL yet. I LOVE the "bird" guitars, and those

guitars both play well, and aren't too much money to buy.

NOTHING compares to the '79 Dove... it truly is a great guitar...but the DIF is "one in a million", (at least for me).

I do have other guitars.

DSC01213.jpg

I'm glad your son is playing the Epiphone because with that DIF, I'm afraid the Epi's might get a bit dusty! If those were mine, I'd be playing that DIF all the time! I don't know if it was the songs you were playing on them, but the DIF had that bass growl and high end sparkle that is so classic of a maple square shouldered Gibson even when it wasn't being driven very hard.

I'd like to see you really dig in on it though! I'd love to hear that DIF bark and punch!

I'd like to see you really dig in on it though! I'd love to hear that DIF bark and punch!

When I get a chance, I'll video something that shows off the DIF a little more... there HAS to be an easier way to make videos!

I'm afraid I'll scuff up the DIF, so I'm being VERY careful with it......

Bob

That's an awful lot of birds' date=' DanvillRob. I think you need an aviary to corral them all.[/quote']

HAHA.. yeah... no chit..... but two will go away in a month..... The old "bird"ain't goin' anywhere.... my bride gave it to me back in 1980, so it's very special....(she knew I wanted a "bird" guitar, so she surprised me!).

BTW... the DIF has 28 doves on it, the old Dove has 3!

Archived