Gibson Brands Forums

ISO: Les Paul Studio Plus Desert Burst (Baja)

manuelmascarenas

Greetings Gibson enthusiasts:

I am new to this Forum and need your help trying to either (1) find the following guitar that had a limited run back in 2001 or (2) try to get information on what the cost would be to get this special ordered through the Gibson Custom Shop:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus (Desert Burst) Baja [2001]

Gibson-LesPaul-StudioPlusDesertBurs.jpg?t=1259713307

I have spent the last 7 years looking for this particular model on eBay, Craigslist and dozens of guitar stores online to no avail. Guitar World in Australia [www.guitar.com.au] has its description featured in their website, but no longer have the actual guitar in-stock.

This is my dream guitar! I have never seen a desert burst that is this captivating, the finish is inspired by the colors of Baja California from 30,000 feet and the light-colored rosewood neck complements it further.

I was wondering what your suggestions are in either trying to locate this or in special ordering it. If I was to special order it as a Custom Les Paul, the *only* things I would change is the electronics (to more modern controls/pickups) and the headstock (to the Gibson Les Paul Custom):

3341771077_ce4066d558.jpg

I reckon special ordering this through an Authorized Gibson Dealer is going to be significantly expensive, but any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I sure wish Gibson would consider re-issuing this exact model & finish.

It is a beauty!

Thank you.

That burst isn't really the same. The one on ebay has a very dark outside, while the other one doesn't. Not to mention that is a standard and not a studio (although the difference is very slight). I imagine custom ordering the thing would be pretty pricey, but if it's your DREAM guitar then why not? The first pic of that guitar is quite amazing except for the black speed knobs.

There's something wrong from my thinking on this inquiry

I own a 2001 LP Studio in Desertburst with a premium plus flame top and gold hardware... but two things about his pictures I can't figure out.

one... he says Studio..

two he has a picture of a Custom headstock with gold inlays and it says Custom...

His full size picture has Gibson and Les Paul in gold.. and the truss rod cover says Studio.. in the Headstock photo it doesn't say Studio it says custom...

I'm not an expect but something doesn't add up here.

here's my headstock.. matches his first photo

headstockLPStudioDesertburst.jpg

here is my whole guitar matches his first picture..

051.jpg

... If I was to special order it as a Custom Les Paul' date=' the [b']*only*[/b] things I would change is the electronics (to more modern controls/pickups) and the headstock (to the Gibson Les Paul Custom):

3341771077_ce4066d558.jpg

Kinda explains the headstock. The picture shows how he would want it to be if he ordered it through the CS.

There's something wrong from my thinking on this inquiry

I own a 2001 LP Studio in Desertburst with a premium plus flame top and gold hardware... but two things about his pictures I can't figure out.

one... he says Studio..

two he has a picture of a Custom headstock with gold inlays and it says Custom...

His full size picture has Gibson and Les Paul in gold.. and the truss rod cover says Studio.. in the Headstock photo it doesn't say Studio it says custom...

I'm not an expect but something doesn't add up here.

here's my headstock.. matches his first photo

headstockLPStudioDesertburst.jpg

here is my whole guitar matches his first picture..

051.jpg

If you would read the whole post instead of just looking at the pictures you would understand.

CW

• 3 months later...

I have this guitar if you are still looking for it. I purchased it in 2001 I still have the original receipt it says Gibson LP Studio Plus in Desert. It is in mint condition rarely ever played. I need to sell it as I lost my job in December and I am currenlty liquidating my guitar collection. If you are still interested you can contact me at testep7@gmail.com. Thanks

I have this guitar if you are still looking for it. I purchased it in 2001 I still have the original receipt it says Gibson LP Studio Plus in Desert. It is in mint condition rarely ever played. I need to sell it as I lost my job in December and I am currenlty liquidating my guitar collection. If you are still interested you can contact me at testep7@gmail.com. Thanks

Well' date=' it looks like this was the OPs one and only post. You might want to try PMing him. Maybe he still has an active acount [lol

Archived