Gibson Brands Forums

Wrists

Izzy

This may or may not be off topic, but I find my Nighthawk is more comfortable hanging kinda low (Belt buckle center Instrument), and my Strats about 2-3 inches higher.

Also I have very short thin finger for a guy, but I still play with my Thumb over the top of the neck. It may not be Mel Bay Proper, but I think Stevie Ray, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Dickey Bets, Joe Walsh, and the rest of the Thumb users have it over Mel at the end of the day. It's just another way to skin the cat.

well if you're gunna be playing for 2 hours straight, expect a little soreness. i play the hard fast stuff so i'm used to feeling tired and sore after playing for long periods. it's just the nature of physical activity. but if you got sharp pain, it's prolly cuz of your technique or some nerve condition....

Izzy' date=' do you play the same guitar every time? Do you experience pain regardless of which instrument you use? Have you tried shortening your strap? [/quote']

Cruzn, I think you nailed it. For example, Jimmy Page plays his LP really low. I always thought that looked so cool. -I tried playing like that for a while, but I found it really hurt my wrist to play with my guitar in that position. I wound up raising my guitar strap, and found a sweet spot where I don't get any discomfort when I play. Izzy, I think you have to experiment to see what works best for you.

well if you're gunna be playing for 2 hours straight' date=' expect a little soreness. i play the hard fast stuff so i'm used to feeling tired and sore after playing for long periods. it's just the nature of physical activity. but if you got sharp pain, it's prolly cuz of your technique or some nerve condition....[/quote']

Two hours straight isn't that long, even if you're playing "Hard and Fast". You might want to lighten up on those strings a little, too. Don't forget what Dave Mustaine went through just because he held the guitar wrong. Severe Nerve Damage isn't an easy thing to come back from.

supination: Rotation of the forearm and hand so that the palm faces forward or upward; also : a corresponding movement of the foot and leg in which the foot rolls outward with an elevated arch.

Dang! I thought "supination" was when you poured your coffee into the saucer to let it cool down, then drink it from the saucer!

Cool Izzy. I'm self taught, and though place my thumb more vertically than horizontally, I still play with the tips of my fingers in a classical style. I've learned, though, that folks like Vai and Satch use the pads... so I am trying to learn that way.

Perhaps try that? Either drop your thumb to a horizontal position or try using the pads of your fingers and see if that relieves some of the wrist pressure. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly....

Good luck!!

Archived