Gibson Brands Forums

Cracking Knuckles

slashadler

Yeah, I also read that they haven't proved it leads to arthritis. I sure hope that it doesn't. I crack my knuckles like crazy. -That and coffee are the only two bad habits I have left (since I quit smoking cigarettes a few years back). :)

I used to think it promoted arthritis' date=' but doctors have said that hasn't been proven when I asked them. Given that, I'd say if it makes your fingers feel more flexible, go for it.

[/quote']

I never cracked my knees or my wrists. I've cracked my knuckles as far back as I can remember...and that's a good piece of ground. Osteoarthritis has thus far done most of it's damage in my knees. The first knuckle, closest to the finger-tip, of both my index fingers, is pretty swollen and slightly deformed at this point. The joint where my thumbs attach to the hand is often painful and tender. And the outside of my wrists get a burning pain now from time to time. Doesn't keep me from playing but it's often uncomfortable after the first hour or so. Bass is much easier all the way around for me.

I still crack my knuckles. :)

Just curious......Is there a reason why you guys crack your knuckles' date=' or is just a habit?[/quote']

I do it because the knucks get to feeling like they "need" to be cracked. Sometimes they crack themselves just from movement. But it's also a habit.

I've heard that it isn't PROVEN to do damage BUT my personal theory is never FORCE your body to do anything.

If it hurts to do something its not good, even if you feel relief afterwards. Cracking from movement on its own seems okay, though.

I crack my wrists. I used to do it because it felt good afterwards. Then, in time, the wrists started feeling a bit stiff if I didn't pop them. Now, there are days they don't feel stiff, the ARE stiff until I pop them.

Just saying, when the medical community says, "no it doesn't hurt you," its very very easy for them to say, "wait, we were wrong. Our bad." So I go with the lesser evil and base my actions on experience.

Archived