Gibson Brands Forums

Help to choosing the ultimate LP for me

Sugarray

Hey guys. I’m new in this forum.

I’m looking for the best LP for me, but I’m not sure I know which one it is.

Furthermore there are a lot of terms I don’t know the meaning of.

Ill write all my questions here and I hope you guys will help me making the right decision.

Sorry if my spelling isen´t too good.

I wan’t a beautiful LP which can be usefull in many years, at the same time it may be good looking at the wall.

I’m pretty confused about these terms: Standart, Traditional, Custom – Someone told me that there were two kind of custom which confused me even more… someone who can explain?

The highest price I’m willing to pay is around 9000 dollars

The first guitar iv been concidering is this on:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Custom-2-PU-VOS.aspx

The describsion says that its non-weight relieved body – what does that mean?

How do you think about the neck profile (the thickness)?

Weight compared to the other two?

And what about the sound compared to the other two posted next?

The next one is:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

How is this one compared to the first one if we’re talking about the weight and the thickness of the neck.

Would you prefer this one or the first one? And why?

The last one is:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx or the reissue (tell me which one of these two you prefer)

The decribsion talks about “one-piece lightweight mahogany body – and what is that? Did they use that in 1959?

How is the 1959 neck different from the other?

Generel questions: Neck profiles – which type of neck is best to rock music – im thinking which neck profile would Slash, Joe Perry and Heatfield choose? – How many different kinds of neck profiles are available?

Which of these mentioned guitars would you prefer and why?

Any other suggestions to the ultimate LP?

I know I sound like a newbie, and actually I am. Some of you may think why such an ignorant idiot like me want an LP. – Well that’s because I cant live without one ?

Anyway I hope you will help me the best way you can.

Thank you very much

Ray

Wow what a budget to work with . The guys/girls will help you a lot here. I'm still in the process too of learning about LP's .

With what I said, I love the traditional BUT if I had the budget it would be a historic. Possibly a 1959(R9) , 1958(R8) or 1960 (R0) .The 1960 reissue has a smaller neck profile.

Ok run down :2008 LP Standard- chambered

2009 LP Traditional- Weight relieved

Reissues- nothing, solid wood.

Best thing for you to do is go out and try everyone you can. You might be suprised on what you like. $ 9000 is a big budget but if you don't have to spend it all then that can be a good thing too or You Know Christmas is coming and an R8 in my stocking would be great lol j/k

Ok here is a link that Are Nine gave me. If you call this guy up and tell him what sound, wood ,type of music etc. you play he can help you out http://www.marksguitarloft.com/

They Have some really nice stuff there :-

Hope this helped

I'd personally go for a historic reissue. You should know what that term means if you read that link JPMan provided.

Sugarray, rather than ask what people prefer and why, why don't you just spend an afternoon in a music store and play a bunch of different models. You'll see how different all the neck profiles are first hand and see which one(s) you prefer. Who cares about what everybody else likes? I don't.

Since you have a huge budget for this, why don't you consider one of the 2009 "Inspired By" models? Jeff Beck's Oxblood, Mike Bloomfield's LP, Billy Gibbons' Pearly Gates, and Jimmy Page's No. 2 (which hasn't been released yet)? The sticker price on any of these four guitars (in VOS) is around $8,000 but you can get them for less.

Just figure out whatever your ultimate LP is, for $9k, you'll be able to come extremely close to it. Personally, I love the 1959 so I would probably go with a 2003 brazilian reissue or a Page or Pearly Gates signature as AreNine mentioned. If you do get a burst, you will be able to pick out an amazing top.

Thank for your quick answers guys... I have been to the 2 local shops but both of them only have feve Gibson models... and the guys there can't tell much about the neck profile.

The links were very good and I now know a little bit more about serval things.

I'v got some questions to your replies though.

Ledzep59: What is a brazilian 2003? Can't finde it on Gibsons HP? And what do you mean with" If you do get a burst, you will be able to pick out an amazing top." ?

Are Nine: Yes now I'v figured out what that term means... But my only worry about that reissue is that im worried about the weight? I'v checked those "inspired by" model out...non of them really attracks me....At this moment im most attracted to BB7 (hope i did the term correct ) and the 50th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard... But im still in doubt. (thanks for the link)

Swleary: Good to hear that im not the only one who doesnt know it all [biggrin]

Well it seems most people like the neck profile from the 50's isent that correct (i know i need to do my own expirences but nice to hear what other means so i can compare). Hehe...well if you're a nice kid Santa might show up [cool] (thanks for the link)

JPMan thanks for the link...really made my day so much easier!

Guys im still a bit confused about neck profiles and body weight....

Some of the guys in the guitar store said that a lot of lead guitarist played LP standart (and not custom) because the neckprofile were thinner... At this point i didnt knew that standart could be a custom..

So i'm still a bit confused (i know the link proabably gives the answer)...

Is there also differences between 57 and 59 neck? or ist it only between 50's and 60's`??

The body weight is also aunsolved problem... I'm not sure if a non-weight relived reissue or custom would be too heavy for me...

Thank you one again....

And if we don't talk in the next two weeks ill wish you all a happy christmas

Wow what a budget to work with . The guys/girls will help you a lot here. I'm still in the process too of learning about LP's .

With what I said' date=' I love the traditional BUT if I had the budget it would be a historic

Hope this helped [/quote']

You can get a historic for the same price as the LP traditional plus, same link you provided.

Wow, that's a huge budget. try reading more on the Gibson site. The difference in the necks and how they feel are dependent on the size of your hands. A 60's slim-taper nick is what it says, slim. A 59 is fatter and a 58 is a bit more. from what u posted u still need to find another music store and try all the Gibsons u can . This is the way to really know

what is best for you. Each neck is aliitle different. Also, you can hear the different sound each has. Let the guitar talk to you. And than you'll know.

09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. LPDC (trans blue)

‘08 Firebird IV (metallic red)

‘07 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)

‘07 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

good luck

Ledzep59: What is a brazilian 2003? Can't finde it on Gibsons HP? And what do you mean with" If you do get a burst' date=' you will b

JPMan thanks for the link...really made my day so much easier!

Guys im still a bit confused about neck profiles and body weight....

Some of the guys in the guitar store said that a lot of lead guitarist played LP standart (and not custom) because the neckprofile were thinner... At this point i didnt knew that standart could be a custom..

So i'm still a bit confused (i know the link proabably gives the answer)...

Is there also differences between 57 and 59 neck? or ist it only between 50's and 60's`??

The body weight is also aunsolved problem... I'm not sure if a non-weight relived reissue or custom would be too heavy for me...

Thank you one again....

And if we don't talk in the next two weeks ill wish you all a happy christmas[/quote']

In 2003 Gibson made some Les Pauls with Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard which was used on the original 50's LPs. They are highly limited and sought after because Gibson only made a few and is not expected to put out any more brazilian board guitars anytime soon. Here is a link to one, but just go to ebay and type in "Gibson Brazilian" and a couple should come up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Gibson-Les-Paul-1959-Historic-BRAZILIAN_W0QQitemZ300377205824QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45efe06c40#ht_662wt_1167

What I mean by the top comment is every guitar's top is distinct and unique. If you get a burst you will be able to clearly see the flamed maple top, if you get an R7 goldtop you will just see the finish. With the burst some tops will have different flames of different sizes. You will be able to pick an amazing top.

As for the necks they tend to get thinner as the reissue year gets more recent: R7/R8 very fat, R9 pretty fat, R0 thin neck. However, this also depends on the specific guitar. Here it is best to just play each one and figure out what you like. None of the historic reissues are weight-relieved, except for those "Cloud Nine" reissues.

Archived