Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Forums......

Murph

So...

Murph, you pulling a Muprh again? [lol]

Just kidding Murph!

...and on a side note, some have posted they respect murph for what he does (gig a lot), I think we should respect him (and everyone else) regardless of him being a pro or not.[cool]

He is a person and a fellow guitar player and forum member, and so deserves respect.

There have been only a couple of guys here who proved they didn't deserve respect at all, one is buddy light. That thing you just couldnt deal with.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remember when we were a bunch of friends' date=' buddy's, and kind of miss those days. It's a shame when we argue about stupid stuff and miss the fact that we are all in this boat. Love ya.

Murph.[/quote']

You might be right Murph.

Except that on this 'boat', from where I sit on the Starboard side... those guys on the Port side are idiots! They don't know how to row.

[lol]

All they do is row so as to make the boat go left when they SHOULD be rowing on this side so the boat goes right. As it is now, the boat goes forward and.... [cool] Wait a minit. :-k Maybe there's a lesson here. [blush]

I don't post a lot. I joined this forum when I bought my AJ back in January 2008. I think most of the garbage you get here is probably no worse than any other public forum.

Sometimes I check in and think " I hate this forum, why do I bother" and yet everyday here I am. I'll give you 2 forum members who I always read. Milod and Neoconman. I don't think Milod has posted anything that wasn't well thought out, well written or uninteresting. If he was my neighbor he would probably shut his blinds and turn out the lights whenever I came around with a question.

With Neo its a little bit different, he says a lot of things I don't agree with. But I still respect his opinions. He too knows how to articulate himself properly. He never makes a statement without backing it up. He also posts interesting things.

Honorable mention to Murph. A gigging musician? The stories he could tell.

I guess the main thing with me is that people really need to do their research & know their facts before they post things. And if you really, really disagree with somebody break down their arguments and answer them point by point. If you don't want people chiming in, send the person a PM.

Thats all I have for now.

Lowdown... (and, vourot, thanks for the nice words.)

What I find about half funny is that in some circles I'm considered kinda a wild man philosophically, and here I'm the old, stable guy. <chortle> (Hmmmm. Maybe it's because I'm soooooo old that when I was in school the classical trivium and quadrivium were still the way stuff was taught. <bigger chortle>) I'm an extreme conservative in language usage and some have suggested I'm far too much of a libertarian otherwise.

I think it's music. Music. MUSIC.

I love music, playing it, hearing it. Frankly too, promoting it in most ways I can.

Kids here don't realize how good music is for their overall mental development which is pretty well proven. I won't claim to like a lotta stuff a lotta teens like, but what's important is that kids "here" actually are playing.

I don't care for nastiness here any more than I do in a saloon with a buncha folks telling tales and talking politics - although my background makes me really enjoy talking politics. I tease that I'll take either side of an argument, but a lot of that comes from my line of work as well as early training.

But... I've not seen a guitar forum that's more fun that this one, nor that has more information available for a guitar player who is willing to ask.

m

Kids here don't realize how good music is for their overall mental development which is pretty well proven. I won't claim to like a lotta stuff a lotta teens like' date=' but what's important is that kids "here" actually are playing.

[/quote']

I'm gonna politely disagree with that part of your response. I believe kids understand the importance of music than most parenting adults that diminish its importance, because of the label of becoming a pro musician carries..... unstable income, drug dependencies, false sense of reality...ect..ect.

We can go further into how music programs have been cut from our kids schools. And the schools that have flourishing music programs come with a hefty price tag. My daughter at the Junior high level runs about $2500 a year. My son at the high school level is well over $3500 a year. This includes private lessons for both..... The financial aspect is pretty over-whelming for most parents in this day and age, especially if you have more than one child.

Duane...

Oops... I'd forgotten what life is like elsewhere.

Here music education in school is not only "free," including private lessons, but includes both vocal and instrumental music. Mom paid for my piano lessons from age 4 into fourth grade when I took up the trumpet instead.

In the literal as well as figurative center of the U.S., a high school student has incredible opportunities that I love to "cover" as a newspaper guy. I also forget sometimes the advantage to this part of the country for "kids."

I just "shot," for example, the local high school senior jazz combo - guitar, reeds, bass, percussion, brass - that plays in various places around. Two high school "kids" wrote the music for a middle school play that was performed on stage. The music teachers taught scoring, directing, etc...

Several of those kids also were multiple sports letter winners as well. Let's see... Alvin is a football letterman at defensive end, plays trombone in the jazz combo and is the wrestling team's "heavyweight." The girl trumpet player is a cheerleader, dance team member, does competitive oral interp... etc.

The school's rodeo club is different, especially since schools in the state bailed due to liability concerns. Still, rural families usually have a decent horse and tack for the daughter to use in barrel racing, polebending, breakaway roping, team roping and goat-tying, or for the boys in roping events or steer wrestling. Rough stock riding takes a lot of practice, too, but the personal tack involved is a lot less. Folks help the kids and families cover the costs.

I know there are some unofficial ways of ensuring poor kids have an instrument if they wanna play or even a horse for rodeo - in a town with average household income under $30,000 and where half the elementary school kids get free or reduced price meals.

This year's high school senior class is about 100 kids so it's a small, but not tiny high school.

A girl who interned with me two years ago got a full ride to Catholic University. She was valedictorian, a high level rodeo competitor, first-class musician, did yearbook, lettered in volleyball, did oral interp, knowledge bowl... and she worked a part-time job during the school year and moved back to the ranch in summer to help Dad with the livestock.

Yeah, you're absolutely correct from your perspective; I think I'm correct from where I live.

Also, I've never seen the degree of anti pro musician you must have. Lots of semi-pros out here whose lifestyles are far more conservative than even my own; my Dad walked or rode horses to country school with a gal who ended up with a symphonic career on violin. We train lots of music educators in our state university system.

OTOH... the entire population of South Dakota is less than that of the Memphis, Tenn., metropolitan area.

m

But... I've not seen a guitar forum that's more fun that this one' date=' nor that has more information available for a guitar player who is willing to ask.m[/quote']

I think milod makes a very good point here.

The lounge especially, IMO, is interesting specifically because of the breadth of topics to be found in one place. Here one can find all manner of subjects - both the searched for and the chanced upon.

Which takes me back to the original question (I think).

Whether or not we need a separate 'room' in the lounge for gear is a moot point; the Lounge has always (since the 'dark ages' anyway) been a place where non-Gibson topics were discussed. If we decide we want a 'gear-talk' room then do we then need a 'political debate' room (come back, Homz); a 'religious issues' room? (come back JIDIMB)...

Or do we just keep the lounge open to anyone who wishes to ask, or inform, on any - and all - topics?

I can see merits in both systems.

I'll sleep on it...................

Pippy...

I think a section for religious and/or political argument likely would be counterproductive largely because, as you've suggested, it gets nasty rather than introspective or educational.

OTOH, check some of the "reviews" of a wide range of guitars and "gear" on the major Web music stores and it's interesting to note how many people are playing regularly in religious environments - as in "church."

Back when I was a kid, a guitar in church was somewhat revolutionary, although in some sectarian environments or even nonsectarian environments "religious" music was otherwise typical. (E.g., old "country" music even on the radio in the US had many "popular" pieces that were "religious" in nature.)

But I also get the impression that regardless of style, we're also talking the same language whether we're about "electric" or "acoustic" guitars.

The concerns of a guitar player, regardless of style or intent, are only too similar. An anti-war protester with an acoustic has the same "guitar concerns" as a guitarist known for .... well, let's say "militaristic" .... sentiments. Strings, frets, bridges, technique...

In fact, one of my favorites from the WWII era was leftist Woody Guthrie's "Reuben James" done to the tune of Wildwood flower. It's about an old four-stacker destroyer being zapped by a Uboat... Nowadays it'd be considered jingoistic and rotten nationalism. <grin>

The guitar knows no politics, and little of religion by itself. It is most truly an "instrument" or "tool" we use. Whether used for one purpose or another, its maintenance and such issues are the same as an automobile driven to church or to a bank robbery...

So... Naaah. Keep the lounge open to lotza thoughts. Guitar and picker's thoughts.

m

Man' date=' the original post wasn't complaining about the "Lounge", just sayin there were less panties in a wad back then.

Then some people got their panties in a wad?

Sheeze. Sorry.[/quote']

If you want me to quit just say so! [cool]

Just kidding

Archived