Gibson Brands Forums

Good deals and underrated Gibsons

peiplayer

I’ve been on the occasional hunt for a second Gibson for a while, tried a couple of Epiphones, but didn’t care too much for those particular ones…….

What is the best Gibson deal for the money out there? I don’t mean J45 vs J200 vs Hummingbird etc.….I know they’re all good guitars and choice is mostly personal preference, but what do you folks think are maybe some of the underrated models, solid wood that can be had at a more budget-friendly price.

Long and McQuade store here has a Songmaker in mahogany for $899. Sounds like not a bad deal for a solid mahogany guitar. They have it displayed right out in the main showroom too, not in the humidity-controlled section. What’s the deal with them? Any good? I was in for a quick string purchase and didn’t have time to check it out.

Songmaker- made in Canada at the former Garrison plant. Gibson bought them, converted the line to make the Songmaker series, then closed the plant shortly after. There are a few around for sale but not many were made at all. I don't think the future will be kind to them. They are "real Gibsons" because Gibson owned the plant that made them, but they are not like the classic Gibson designs so they come off as oddballs.

All that being said I kind of liked the look of the Grand Concert size ones I saw and if it played and sounded good I'd buy one i f the price was right. Solid woods, made in North America, honest Gibson name...$899 would be fair - if you like it.

+1 nid2007 and on the Songwriter. It's not to everyone's taste but great value for a Bozeman Gibson. Value is a judgemental thing. If you don't get on with a guitar, it's irrelevant. Don't buy a guitar you don't like.

If you're not into the bling a J45 is a great place to start from a value POV.

I am biased but I would have to offer the Rosewood J-30 Montana, no longer in production. It is without adornment, and square shouldered. It has a very full sound, throaty lows with crisp highs. It is full across the middle. The neck full near the nut so if you are looking for a profile like the Adv Jumbo this would not be it. I have both the AJ and the J30 and I would give up the AJ first though it is a much prettier guitar, and easier to play owing to the neck shape, particularly at the nut.

Thanks for the tips….I checked out the SW and though I’m sure it’s a great guitar and good value its not cheap and more than I want to spend for a second guitar to my J45 which I like very much. I just want something that would be semi-decent and less than a grand would definitely be a plus.

I think I'll go back and check out that Songmaker.....

Archived