Gibson Brands Forums

Legend J-45 vs. J-45 True Vintage

MarkS

Can someone spell out the differences in these two models? What would I expect to hear tonally different? As a follow-up the finish on the Legend series appears to be satin. Is it lacquer or varnish?

I'm on my way out the door, so I don't have time to go into a lot of detail right now. The biggest difference is the Legend has an adi top, aged binding, repro tuners, hand made braces, authentic red line case. The finish is nitro, but it has been "scuffed up", for lack of a better term, to imitate what the guitar might look like if it were actually a 1942 model. The Legend was made by Gibson copying the details of an actual 1942 J-45.

Strummer hit on the key points. I expect the guitars will sound somewhat different, however slght it may be due to the top wood, bracing, etc...

I do not have any hands-on experience with the '42 Legend J-45, but I have played the J-45 TV extensively. I would buy the J-45 TV a million times over, and the '42 Jegend would have to be significantly better than the TV at it's price point for me to even begin to consider it.

No hands on experience, but in terms of specs, the Legend is a high end vintage copy (between a martin GE and Authentic): Hide glue, adi top, nitro etc. Big neck. The TV is a hybrid job, with adv. jumbo bracing but dressed up as a 40s slope J. It reportedly has a quick response and big bass, more so than a std j45. Im quessing the legend tone is closer to vintage (quick, dry, punchy), if that's your thing. Some folks are going want the TV for the response & bass.

JK, I think you bringup a good point on the comparison of the Martin Authentics versus the Martin Golden ERA models.

The debates over the technical differences and the sound perceptions end, the debate between those two most always go to cost justification of thousands more being worth it. I would guess the same applies here, and in the end it comes down to the indiviual's personal feeling between the two and it the "worth" is a measured achievement for that person.

In all this time reading those posts by those debating the two, I have never had the chance to play a an authentic model Martin, but if I were to take those who own them at face value, then the Authentics are worth the extra cost. I would expect the same would apply here too...

I do like the big necks of the original guitars. I presume that the TV has a more modern shaped neck?

As for the Redline case, I've seen one and the darn thing would hardly open and close...

I do like the big necks of the original guitars. I presume that the TV has a more modern shaped neck?

As for the Redline case' date=' I've seen one and the darn thing would hardly open and close...[/quote']

My case is the same way, if you're talking about the latches. They are very hard to open and close.

The case didn't really "line up" front to back, like the hinges were a little off in their placement. The Legend J45 is one of the finest sounding new guitars I've heard for my style of playing (Texas swing.) I was surprised that the end pins appeared to be cheap plastic, everywhere else the attention to detail was top notch. I haven't had a chance to compare it to a TV in person though.

I don't have that problem with my case, only the latches are hard to open/close.

The Legend is a great guitar. When you say "end pins", I'm guessing you actually mean the bridge pins? If so, it's the same reasoning they use for all of their models. Different people have different preferences and may change them out anyway. I also like the chunky neck. I have an old Yamaha 12 string with a similar neck, so I was used to the larger neck. I could see where people might have a hard time with it, if it were their first experience with the chunky neck.

Another point to keep in mind when comparing the J-45 to the J-45 TV is that sometimesacoustic guitars of the same model are not always alike. Yesterday I played a Modern Classic J-45 that simply kicked a**. The J-45 TV in the room was a great sounding guitar too, and there were no flies on it no way, no how.

If you're doing a dollars to sound comparison, the two I cited above would make me buy the regular Modern Classic J-45. What's the difference in cost here that we're talking... Let's see (doing a quick look up): $724 difference in list.

Depending on your budget, maybe that's not too much when considering the overall differences of the guitars' appointments.

I completely agree Dennis. The first Legend series 45 I played was the prototype, and it was a monster. The subsequent one I have played is NEARLY as good. At the same time, there was an SJ (Guthrie model?) that sound wise was very close, but playability was not the same. When I buy, it will be completely about the sound and playability, but I will say the Legend does set the bar pretty high.

Mark I haven't had the chance to play a legend yet, but a good friend of mine who's opinion I trust said regarding the Legend '42 J-45 that while it was a nice gitar, he would personally have a hard time justifying the extra cost as the J-45 True Vintage is such a great instrument for a good amount less.

In the end, I know it's a very personal decision and that it's not always about the cost, but the just guitar itself.

Fyi: I think there is TV listed on the umgf buy and sell for $1900. Could have ended up with me if not for my adi top/hog quilt GAS attack the other day.

I had the opportunity to spend about 30 min A/B'ing a TV with a '46 J-45. Sound and tonewise, the TV held up very well. The '46 was in need of a god luthier, but still..that TV was IMHO a great guitar.

I bought my J-45TV last year. What a great guitar' date='you can't go wrong with this one and you'll have money left over.[/quote']

Any pics of your J-45 TV beauty?! Post them up I'd love to see them!

Yes' date=' It is . The Dynamic Duo.[/quote']

Dang it, Sal! You've just snapped me out of my self-induced , don't-think-about-guitars-coma!! Now it's starting all over again. I've already "seen" that J-185 sitting on a stand next to my J-45!! A-A-A--R-R-R-G-G-G-G-H-H-H-H!!!

Pox on you!! lol](*,)

Archived