Gibson Brands Forums

RS Guitarworks

Bluemoon

I recently put the re-issue kit (the one with the Luxe Bumblebees) in my Standard faded. Sounds great. And a shout out to their customer service... I received a short shaft kit as a birthday gift and needed to send it back for a long shaft kit. No problems and quick turnaround. Then I needed the wiring diagram since I had sent the original one back. I emailed them and had a .pdf in minutes. Good people.

I recently put the re-issue kit (the one with the Luxe Bumblebees) in my Standard faded. Sounds great. And a shout out to their customer service... I received a short shaft kit as a birthday gift and needed to send it back for a long shaft kit. No problems and quick turnaround. Then I needed the wiring diagram since I had sent the original one back. I emailed them and had a .pdf in minutes. Good people.

So worth the cost?

Difference...how so. Better tone or more control over tone?

Yes on both counts. I generally ran my tones knobs wide open. It's brighter and livelier now so I have more usable tone range on the knobs. Also I don't lose tone as I roll of volume -- not that I do that much. [thumbup]

However, I have not played it through my full rig yet as we aren't having band rehearsals until the new year. I'm looking forward to hearing the difference in that setting. I should be able to post some before and after sounds clips then too.

Surf' date=' was it a pretty easy process to make the modifications? [/quote']

Yes, however, both of my LPs have a little junction plate (?) in the middle for the switch - unlike the diagrams where the jack wires run all the way back to the switch. Basically the switch and jack wires meet in the middle on this little plate. Yours may or may not have this. Once I sorted that it was pretty easy. I can take a pic for you if you like -- assuming your LP has the same set up.

Also, you will have to unsolder everything before removing the old pots, so it's a good idea to label wires or make notes regarding which color goes where. Since the pickup wires look the same, make sure you don't get neck and bridge confused. I taped one to ensure that I'd know which was which.

Wiring diagrams.

Okay' date=' I get that....

Now, what difference is there in functionality?

The only place I ever hear this mentioned is in such discussions with re-wiring.

Nobody ever talks about "50's Style" when comparing guitar models unless it's neck profiles.

Just thought the rest of the world might like to get in on the secret, eh?

[thumbup

My biggest b!tch is how the volume of one pot is slaved to the other to kill output if either pot is off.

Just ain't right.

#-o

Here ya go, Blue...

DSC_0004.jpg

Not sure if the pic really makes things obvious. Basically I followed the diagram for 1950s wiring but...

I left the wires from the switch and the jack attached to the "junction plate" in the middle. I was able to unsolder and remove the pots without removing any of that middle wiring. Then I installed the new pots and soldered the lead wires from each pickup (black) and to the bottom lug of each volume pot in the pic. Then I soldered the wires from the switch (red for the bridge pickup and white for the neck pickup) to the middle lug with the capacitor. I attached the main ground wire to the back of the neck pickup's volume knob (which is linked to all the other pots via the ground wire (the circular one). Then I grounded the metal jackets from the pickup wires to the back of the pots and that was it.

Archived