Gibson Brands Forums

Transcendental Medication

Californiaman

Shmender yes I would.

I'd love to have an old '50s telecaster and stumbling across one is probably the only way I'm going to get one.

It would certainly be a gift from heaven.

Same as that '61 Les Paul SG the guy down the street has. I can't afford it.

I will go in there and see if the guy will let me take some pictures of it though.

This thing is beautiful.

Shmender yes I would.

I'd love to have an old '50s telecaster and stumbling across one is probably the only way I'm going to get one.

It would certainly be a gift from heaven.

Gruhns has a '52 in stock right now. Stock # EF7791.

Just buy it. They're out there. For sale.

Youtube has a bunch of Roy available. My favorite really is "Misty," but it's all good.

One bit on there, or at least was on there, had Roy saying why he liked the tele and it really came down to the neck.

His early "Misty" was masterful and I think the guy could do about any style of music quite nicely.

Usually I don't care for the sound of a tele nor certainly the neck, but...

Then I watch Roy and figure he's the sort of "genius" who transcends style and instrument. I super-appreciate but no, honestly it doesn't make me want a Tele and to copy his stuff....

m

Roy bought a new Tele in 1953 for $120 but swapped it off later. He regretted it. I've seen photos taken in the 60s with Roy playing a black Tele (presumably refinished). Supposedly he bought Nancy in the late 60s from some guy walking down the street carrying it.

God only knows. Stories change, they swell, they shrivel, they get altered to the current need or fancy. That's the way I remember reading it in American Axe anyway.

There was a guy selling Roy cds on ebay a few years back. He was Roy's drummer on occasion in the 60s. On the cd there are a few cuts of Roy just noodling on a guitar with various voices b-s-ing, beer bottles clinking, etc. A couple cuts were done at a party at the drummer's house; to call it rough would be kind. The drummer said Roy was (then) using that black Tele with ungodly high action.

That was really awesome.

I love how monotonous and lethargic his singing and his facial expressions are and then his guitar playing is just ridiculously amazing.

I've been to the Fender Museum. When I got there I was really confused. It was mostly purses and dolls with like one room of guitars and another tiny little room of guitars. Oh and a Fender gift shop full of stupid crap.

Maybe I was missing something? I looked around and I couldn't find anything.

They had a cheap Tele on the floor plugged into a small solid state Fender amp.

It was a combination of a crappy guitar and a crappy amp that sounded freakin AMAZING. The room is huge with marble (or something like marble) walls with really high ceilings. It was like a huge, epic stadium sound. Kindof like how on the Marshall demos the little MG sounds like a huge stack.

Archived