Gibson Brands Forums

Attenuator Power Brake

heymisterk

Attenuators sound best when you are only cutting the volume a small amount. Running a 100 watt stack wide open and squashing it down to bedroom levels doesn't usually work well. But they work well for making a loud amp a little less loud. [scared]

Attenuators sound best when you are only cutting the volume a small amount. Running a 100 watt stack wide open and squashing it down to bedroom levels doesn't usually work well. But they work well for making a loud amp a little less loud. [scared]

I agree Surf.

There IS a limit. I find if I try squash the sound too much I in turn get too much compression which

doesnt sound natural. You really need to play with it untill youve found the sweet spot.

so do volume controls...[angry]

Thanks all. I live in an area where the houses are very close together, and to really bring out the best in my Mesa-Boogie, I need a little volume, which isn't good for the neighbors, let alone my hearing! In pricing them, I'm surprised at how much they cost. Oh well; maybe if the right one comes up, I'll grab one.

Turn up a 100w tube amp to full saturation in a small room and youre going to piss off

some people and may possibly cause damage.....even a 50w' date=' which is only a tad less louder then

a 100w.[/quote']

You are so right, DeepBlue...When I bought my Mesa F-50 (50 watts), I mistakenly assumed that it would be HALF as loud as a 100 watt-er. Phfft! Ah, to be young and uninformed. Playing with my gain up about halfway and the master volume up only a quarter will have my ears ringing in no time...

mistakenly assumed that it would be HALF as loud as a 100 watt-er.

True...A 100w amp isnt twice as loud as a 50w, its only marginally louder. Im not sure of the

formula, but I believe around 500w's is twice as loud as a 50w. Something like that.

Im sure there are guys here who know the equation.

Archived