Gibson Brands Forums

Anti-counterfeiter legislation

Cruznolfart

I recently read that California has passed a new law to help curb the proliferation of counterfeit guitars coming from outside her borders. Henceforth anyone purchasing guitar strings in California will be required to show picture identification and provide a thumbprint. All guitar string sales and sellers will be registered with the state. Guitar string sales between private parties may result in criminal prosecution. It is hoped that this will help make life more difficult for counterfeiters.

Way to go, California!!

Dennis...

My first thought was, good grief, you've gotta be kidding.

Then I considered it again... Hey, not much in Cali would surprise me.

OTOH, another nasty thought goes back to an apparently politically incorrect discussion on this board that got me "deleted" a post or two: Guitar strings work as well or better than piano strings in a garrote.

m

Did they institute a 30 day waiting period and background checking as well?

They're not done yet, that's for sure. I read that the governator vetoed the same legislation twice previously. You might even be required, in the near future, to register any old strings you have laying around that you've had for years. And you can't accept gift strings from out of state relatives or friends, either. It's a wonderful law that will do wonderful things to protect all the citizens from counterfeit guitars.

There is also a proposed background check with the dept. of Homeland Security. And' date=' anyone caught in the illegal transporting or sale of guitar strings will have their guitars confiscated.[/quote']

Wait.....

What if I bought some Chinese made acoustic strings from Musicians Friend, as a gift, for a friend and then got on a plane going to Amsterdam to smoke a little pot, and enjoy the "red light" stuff.....

Not that I would......

But, what if I did?

There is also a proposed background check with the dept. of Homeland Security. And' date=' anyone caught in the illegal transporting or sale of guitar strings will have their guitars confiscated.[/quote']

That's what it's all about anyway...damned guitar-grabbers!

Here's how safe you're gonna be now. Let's say you come up here and we do some jammin'. You break a string and don't have any spares...but I do. So you string up with my string, we jam some more and you go home. On the way home you get stopped for a license plate light infraction, they check the strings on you guitar and find an unregistered string. They trace it to the border but no further because Oregon doesn't have that wonderful law...yet. So YOU do the time for both of us...because I KNOW you wouldn't roll over on me.

When you get out of prison, 5 years later, you're an ex-con for the rest of your life...and you can never own another guitar.

But the people are safe!

It's too bad you can't grow your own! It could create a great "backyard business":-k [cool] . Who'd be the original founder of NORGL? Maybe I won't have to get a job afterall:-k If they pass it soon I could start running strings into California for a living.

Wait.....

What if I bought some Chinese made acoustic strings from Musicians Friend' date=' as a gift, for a friend and then got on a plane going to Amsterdam to smoke a little pot, and enjoy the "red light" stuff.....

Not that I would......

But, what if I did?

[/quote']

As long as you didn't do any of it in California you'd be OK...for now.

It's too bad you can't grow your own! It could create a great "backyard business":-k [cool] . Who'd be the original founder of NORGL? Maybe I won't have to get a job afterall:-k If they pass it soon I could start running strings into California for a living.

Whoa...underground guitar strings...I LIKE it! [cool]

I don't really understand a lotta current laws and sought-for laws.

Another is the electric car. Sheesh, where I live it'd be a coffin in winter unless they discover a way to get more than 80 miles or so per charge and a way to keep the batteries working at -20 or lower temps. And... how about heaters when it's -20 and the wind's blowing at 50 like last week?

Make 'em "the" car, and the price of vehicles that would function here would be out of reach for most. Great for the economy in an area that produces a large percentage of wheat and beef for the US marketplace. Who'll feed America at that point? Or at what cost?

Seriously, I think there's gotta be a bit of common sense added to what's politically correct. One reason I live where I do is the "clean air," but if additional cleaning damages the economy to drop us to the point of western China or India... No thanks.

The bit with Gibson and woods is also part of the equation. Yeah, I think guitar and other wood musical instrument manufacturers need to be concerned with maintaining a supply of woods that don't happen overnight, but I'd hate to think we'll end up with Ovation-style stuff being all there is - and with fiberglass fingerboards too. That's part of where the "environmental" bunch seems to lose concern because it doesn't help them raise more money for full time staffers.

m

As far a tone Woods go, there's not enough research in farmable tonewoods. It's Swank to have Brazilian Rosewood, even though Cherry, Walnut, and other more ample wood supplies exists. The all wood acoustic will never give way to carbon composites. They may coexist in the Guitar World of the future, but they won't replace each other.

We've been doing ok without Adirondack Spruce Tops for a while now, I think we can get on without a specific species of Rosewood. As humans on Earth we've lived in a world were stuff gets scarce or extinct on a regular basis, we should be pretty good at handling that by now.

As far a tone Woods go' date=' there's not enough research in farmable tonewoods. It's Swank to have Brazilian Rosewood, even though Cherry, Walnut, and other more ample wood supplies exists. The all wood acoustic will never give way to carbon composites. They may coexist in the Guitar World of the future, but they won't replace each other.

We've been doing ok without Adirondack Spruce Tops for a while now, I think we can get on without a specific species of Rosewood. As humans on Earth we've lived in a world were stuff gets scarce or extinct on a regular basis, we should be pretty good at handling that by now.[/quote']

You'd think, eh?

Another is the electric car. Sheesh' date=' where I live it'd be a coffin in winter unless they discover a way to get more than 80 miles or so per charge and a way to keep the batteries working at -20 or lower temps. And... how about heaters when it's -20 and the wind's blowing at 50 like last week?[/quote']

I say the technology needs to be proven first - when the bugs are worked out then the public can get in.

I say remove all the snow plows and refit them for electric power.

Same with all the police, fire and EMS vehicles.

Send the electric ambulance to any call made from a government office, especially legislative or judicial.

Don't let the weather slow ya down.

Oh, and every taxi cab in New York City should be electric.

Let's see the morons make THAT sh!t work.

Next?

Electric/solar airplanes for ALL government officials all the way up to the White House.

Let 'em lead by example for the first time in a hundred years or so...

I sure hope this is some sort of joke..............

CA has some awesome drinking water, smooth quiet roads, nice public schools and parks, but it sure would be nice if the budgets where balenced, and cops/firemen/teachers/state workers got to keep their jobs, but no, we have to make sure that guitar strings are under constant supervision and regulation, because guitars cause much more havoc then illegal unregistered aliens.....

[thumbup]

Whether or not this is an 97 percent "joke," the fact remains that it's the sort of thing that we do see in California and elsewhere that impinges on a lot of common sense - if one has the facts.

Yeah, Cali has nice roads. I remember getting a tour of one "nice" area where two shootings were part of the "and over there, that's where..." discussion in L.A.

No, I think it has to do with a concept where "government" can control virtually everything because citizens are too irresponsible except to vote for more rules and taxes for other folks and more perceived benefits for themselves.

The reverse is whether citizens are trained to be, and expected to be, and are as a whole, culturally responsible for treating their neighbor as they would wish they would be treated. Don't forget that Athens, the "paragon of democracy" of antiquity, underwent some similar difficulties.

I just cut about six paragraphs that might be considered too "political."

Okay, so I'm a bit idealistic.

I guess I figure that if almost everyone treated everyone else as they would wish to be treated, we'd have a lot less need for a lot of laws - and the taxes to pay for their enforcement.

m

Yeah' date=' Cali has nice roads. I remember getting a tour of one "nice" area where two shootings were part of the "and over there, that's where..." discussion in L.A.

[/quote']

I meant that the potholes are few and far between, except for the areas that have yet to be repaved

too bad you cut out some of your post, Im sure it would have been a good read!

Archived