Gibson Brands Forums

Neo's MLK Post

Jantha

So, at this point, I couldn't help thinking who the people in this world are who are truly tolerant and fair-minded.

It damned sure ain't the HR people in San Diego.

Would Martin Luther King Jr. be pleased with a world where people must fear that an off-color remark,

bad joke, or even the mere perception that your personal beliefs might not be "pure" enough for their world

would endanger your livelihood, destroy your career, and wreck your life?

I think not.

It's too bad that point was missed...

In the philosophy course I teach we do a MLK Jr. reading in the political philosophy unit in the class. We read "Letter from Birmingham Jail". I tell them to pay close attention to the ethical and political ramifications of all the ideas and representations that are encountered today, but I doubt more than a couple will. Let me say that first and foremost MLK Jr. was an incredible man- Ph. D in theology, one of the BEST rhetoricians ever, and leader of one of the most important civil rights movements in history. Not only did he pave the way for a paradigm shift in the way America and the world viewed race, but his work also helped other marginalized groups become recognized. All he hoped for was a world in which a human being was judged not by race, class, gender, sexuality, age, religion, or any other stereotype, but instead judged by the content of their character (famous line slightly paraphrased).

I always ask my class whether they think Dr. King's dream has been achieved. The responses are always mixed, but everyone can come to a general agreement that we are now much closer to achieving this ideal. I'm sure that Dr. King and the rest of us do not want a homogenous world where all these things (race, class, etc.) become transparent and forgotten. Everyone's subjective identity is partially made up of these designations, and they add to the flavors and spice of life. One should be able to be proud of their sexuality or whatever, but no subject should ever be reduced to merely one of these "epithets". Especially when we are discussing legal and ethical terms, it should be clear to us, especially the Americans, that "all men are created equal", "liberty and justice FOR ALL", etc.

With that being said, we also have a right to free speech and joking is part of that right. As to the effect of whether a joke is appropriate or not, that's a matter of taste, which is just as subjective as deciding which is the best Gibson on earth. It is okay to have your beliefs and speak them, but somewhere lies a very thin line between off-color remarks and malicious intent.

That's my "two cents" on this holiday. I'd like to quote another philosopher who came to mind while I was typing this. His name was Bertrand Russell: "Love is wise, hatred is foolish."

It is okay to have your beliefs and speak them' date=' but somewhere lies a [b']very thin line[/b] between off-color remarks and malicious intent.

Couple of ironies I will point out - cuz I just love irony....

The comments I made were 35 years after the man was shot and killed, no shortage of hate there.

Not the "hate" that I see now - Politically Correct, University-applied, media-driven, mass-consumed...

I'm talking HATE.

Get me a gun and go stalk somebody in the public eye and kill them so they'll quit saying stuff I don't like.

THAT is hate.

So this "very thin line" is assumed to take a quick detour around my feet so I find myself on the wrong side?

No malice in my intent, and the man was dead 35 years when I made those comments - to friends.

That it was taken out of context and run up the flagpole, trumpets blaring, is the perfect example I was

describing in my "disrespectful" post on the matter. Anybody thinking I expressed any hate is an idiot.

Those people in the sixties who wore their hearts on their sleeves and protested against The Man....

Those people who saw efforts to silence dissent and avoid answering questions treated as "The Way It Is"....

Those people have moved their Idealism into JOBS.

They're back at those same universities, back with that same media - only now they work on the inside.

And my, oh my, look how things have changed in this country now that THEY are on the inside.

Whatever happened to Liberalism, fairness for all, open discussions, tolerance, diversity?

People under 30 now have absolutely no idea that the Good Reverend, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a preacher.

Yep.

His first, last, and only gig?

Using his Bible as a source of inspiration - and the Final Word on Right vs, Wrong.

Notice now, the media ALWAYS calls him Doctor Martin Luther King, NEVER Reverend Martin Luther King.

Watch the world sing his praises, but only after he's been sanitized and white-washed "properly" for the public.

Oh, and take a day off to do whatever selfish things you do.

And don't bother attending any services for a Man of God who was felled by real, demonstrated hate.

In the philosophy course I teach we do a MLK Jr. reading in the political philosophy unit in the class. We read "Letter from Birmingham Jail". I tell them to pay close attention to the ethical and political ramifications of all the ideas and representations that are encountered today' date=' but I doubt more than a couple will. Let me say that first and foremost MLK Jr. was an incredible man- Ph. D in theology, one of the BEST rhetoricians ever, and leader of one of the most important civil rights movements in history. Not only did he pave the way for a paradigm shift in the way America and the world viewed race, but his work also helped other marginalized groups become recognized. All he hoped for was a world in which a human being was judged not by race, class, gender, sexuality, age, religion, or any other stereotype, but instead judged by the content of their character (famous line slightly paraphrased).

I always ask my class whether they think Dr. King's dream has been achieved. The responses are always mixed, but everyone can come to a general agreement that we are now much closer to achieving this ideal. I'm sure that Dr. King and the rest of us do not want a homogeneous world where all these things (race, class, etc.) become transparent and forgotten. Everyone's subjective identity is partially made up of these designations, and they add to the flavors and spice of life. One should be able to be proud of their sexuality or whatever, but no subject should ever be reduced to merely one of these "epithets". Especially when we are discussing legal and ethical terms, it should be clear to us, especially the Americans, that "all men are created equal", "liberty and justice FOR ALL", etc.

With that being said, we also have a right to free speech and joking is part of that right. As to the effect of whether a joke is appropriate or not, that's a matter of taste, which is just as subjective as deciding which is the best Gibson on earth. It is okay to have your beliefs and speak them, but somewhere lies a very thin line between off-color remarks and malicious intent.

That's my "two cents" on this holiday. I'd like to quote another philosopher who came to mind while I was typing this. His name was Bertrand Russell: "Love is wise, hatred is foolish."[/quote']

Such lucidity within your well thought out post.[cool] ..... My best read all week.

Sorry, but I hardly found it interesting enough for one thread, let alone two.

If you really want to know what I took away from that story it's that most people don't find Assassination funny.

And honestly, we've only heard Neos side of it, I'd like to hear the same story told by those Salary Suits. Well, actually I wouldn't cause it's just not that important.

Archived