Gibson Brands Forums

Damned email spam... Hey, WAIT!!!

NeoConMan

So I'm wading through all the email spam to see if there's anything in there I give a sh!t about...

Delete...

Delete...

Delete...

Delete...

Delete...

De... Whoa!

Say.... What the hell is this?

I was about to vaporize the latest email from Amazon.com into the ethers of cyberspace when I

saw the "Recommended for You" selections down at the bottom of the email.

They take all your previous musical purchases, and compare them to other people who bought the same.

They see what other cd's sorta fit the same profile and were purchased by other people with your tastes.

As silly as it sounds - I damned sure thought it was - there's been some good stuff pop up there.

This time, one of the selections is from a band called Them Crooked Vultures.

Here's the link to the Amazon Biography and song samples;

http://www.amazon.com/Them-Crooked-Vultures/e/B002UM65UA/ref=s9_dpt_sa_bio

In a nutshell, here's the story.

An alt/classic rock supergroup, Them Crooked Vultures featured Queens of the Stone Age's

guitarist and vocalist Josh Homme, Nirvana/Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl on drums, and

Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on bass.

The trio first discussed collaborating in 2005, but not much more was heard of the project

until summer 2009, when Them Crooked Vultures announced that they had been recording

an album in Los Angeles.

The band made their live debut at Chicago's Cabaret Metro after that year's Lollapalooza Festival

closed, adding auxiliary Vulture and longtime Homme collaborator Alain Johannes on

rhythm guitar and keyboards. The show's set list was made up of grungy, hard-hitting rock

with prog rock leanings, including the song "Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I," which the

band posted a brief clip of on their /YouTube channel the week after their inaugural gig.

~ Heather Phares, All Music Guide

I dunno, sounds like it might be pretty cool.

Anybody know anything about this?

Great songs, great playing, great musicianship, and terrible production. Enough compression and redlining to strain your ears for weeks.

I saw that they did a vinyl pressing. Might have to pick that up since the mastering process is very different.

While not the second coming of Zep (as I believe some folks hoped), Them Crooked Vultures is pretty good stuff. You can definitely hear what each of those guys brought to the table; some of it sounds a little redundant (IMO) but, overall, it's a good album if you like kind of trippy hard rock.

Archived