Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson: Afraid of the truth?

freak show

who would say you are an idiot if you think tone and EMGs can be found in the same sentence.

it ain't my problem that there are idiots out there who are tone deaf and can't tell differences in pitch....

Another thread turned anti-EMG, eh? I call shenanigans!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there a guy who works at my Sam Ash. i watched him play a $200 Squier Strat plugged into a SS $99 fender practice amp. to put it plainly' date=' he sounded amazing. i thought for sure he was playing thru a Twin or something. turns out he was just showing a new player and his parents how good cheap gear can sound.[/quote']

I get it.

Still, I don't like paying more for a name.

Pst don't tell any one but I am going to put a white EMG 81 in my Hello Kitty; on my latest conquest to dominate the world as we know it. Or at least Biloxi area.........

As long as you don't tell anyone I'm putting an 81/60 set in my explorer [biggrin] Your secret is safe with me. [biggrin]

I went 200 miles south a couple days ago for training. I took my $12 Applause with no case. It went the 200 miles in the cab of my Gov't pickup, right down by the heater on the passenger's side. And I like it warm when I drive. Very warm. It then sat in the cold truck all day (it was about 20 degrees). Then it went into a hotel room where I cranked the heat. This morning it went back out into the cold, then into the warm truck, then sat all day in the cold truck, then 200 hot miles home.

Never went out of tune. No cracks. No swelling. Sounds like an old J45.

As much of a Gibson freak as I am..... it's hard to argue with something that works, even if it wouldn't look good on a Dentist's wall.

When I worked there from '97 to '99 I had an '87 and an '89 S-10. Screaming junk. The '89 didn't even make it to the auction stage, they just called the junkyard. When I went back in 2002 they gave me a '90 Dakota. It had a repair file 1-1/2 inches thick. I couldn't send it in for an oil change without it costing $1000 of your money. In 2005 they handed me a brand new white Colorado. Sweet little truck as long as I don't.... oh, let's see... try to go uphill on wet grass. Ain't gonna happen.

We generally keep them 8-10 years, except for our soils team. They go mapping in the woods and things get ugly. This summer I got an emergency call from their satellite phone that one of them was stuck about 35 miles into the woods. A 2009 Chevy Silverado laying right on it's frame in muck. I pulled it out with a 2008 Explorer. Guess that's a soccer mom grocery grabber that earned it's keep!

I am one of those who does not like most of what Gibson has done these past two years with their offered guitars and the forum etc... But with that said it doesn't matter if the guitar is 1k or 100k they will find a buyer. Wanna see rape go to ebay or craigs list and their are parts from a 50's or 60's LP and many of those original parts cost more than a signature model. Recently I saw a PU selector ring and the plastic hat only and the guy wanted almost 5 grand just for two worn' date=' faded plastic parts. No way to justify a plastic part from yesteryear are better than one made two days ago. While I dont have any high end Gibsons they do get used, my RP SG got a few hours of live playing at a gig on New Years Eve. I got loads of many nice comments on a all wood grain SG and it sounded so nice etc...

So back to the original thread, it has built in value to the right person and this is Gibsons website. They can delete any comments made by any one because its private property. You would not like it if someone did something similar to you if you owned a business either.

Deal with it and let R9 buy the guitar and enjoy it...[/quote']I've got one better.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1526172719.html

I don't care if it was the VERY first knob ever made! There's NO WAY I'd pay anything over todays retail price for anything other than vintage PAFs. But to each his own I guess?

Archived