suburude

I've had one for about 8 months or so. It's ladder braced with

a laminated back (sides?). The top is spruce. It has a great Gibson

tone and 'thunk'. Definitely has the ladder braced sound, too. Nice

and punchy with enough volume. Looks great! The fingerboard is

a bit narrow but I like it - I have small hands. I think it's really

got a lot going for it.

Geoff

PS - It's not a big guitar and it's not small either. Fits really nicely.

suburude

I've had one for about 8 months or so. It's ladder braced with

a laminated back (sides?). The top is spruce. It has a great Gibson

tone and 'thunk'. Definitely has the ladder braced sound' date=' too. Nice

and punchy with enough volume. Looks great! The fingerboard is

a bit narrow but I like it - I have small hands. I think it's really

got a lot going for it.

Geoff

PS - It's not a big guitar and it's not small either. Fits really nicely.[/quote']

Are you sure Geoff about the laminate sides and back? The ones I have seen have been solid backs and sides hog?[biggrin]

I have a 64' I m sure it is solid. Have had it about 14-15 years. Plays great. It has very light bracing on back. Ladder braced top. Some times if you tap the back of the guitar you can tell if it is solid or laminated by the sound. Solid will have more of a sustain or ring. Laminate just kind of thunks.

I have a 64' I m sure it is solid. Have had it about 14-15 years. Plays great. It has very light bracing on back. Ladder braced top. Some times if you tap the back of the guitar you can tell if it is solid or laminated by the sound. Solid will have more of a sustain or ring. Laminate just kind of thunks.

I have allways thought they were solid.

Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars identically describes the LGO, LG1, LG2, LG3, and B25's sides and back as "mahogany back and sides." When describing the B15 it describes the sides and back as "laminated mahogany back and sides."

I've always thought the LG1's sides and back were solid mahogany...the description in Gruhn's book seems to substantiate that.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Anybody ? Are lets say 64 ' date=' 65 LG1s Laminate or solid? I was under the impression all LG 1s were solid wood guitars??[/quote']

Laminate sides, solid back. Pretty much all Gibsons have laminate sides starting around ? I believe late 50's 58, 59 maybe even earlier, Gibson started using laminate sides. Like I said I don't know when it started but I do know they had them from 62 on. J45's 50's etc also had them. If you want to know for sure when they started, post the question at the UMGF and you'll get your answer.

Why would the UMGF be a better source than Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars which seems to single out specific instruments when they have laminated sides and backs? Based on Gruhn's Guide to VG's, most Gibsons do not have laminated sides, except when specifically noted in the book. George Gruhn and Walter Carter (also Gibson's historian at some point)...the authors of Gruhn's Guide to VG have great credibility...so, I tend to go with their descriptions. I checked Vintage Guitar Magazine's Vintage Guitar Guide and they seem to say the same thing as Gruhn's Guide. Those Gibson flat top that have laminated sides and backs are individually noted in their guide...meaning all the others not so noted are solid woods.

Can anyone else site any specific sources of info on this...meaning not a forum where anyone can say anything.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Here is what I have been told. My 64 LG1 has a solid sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and laminate mahogany sides. I know I have read it a couple places when I was researching my guitar, but I can't remember where. I do know the back is solid. When I got it, it had a small (less than 1/2 inch) crack in the back that had been professionally repaired. My luthier also confirmed it was solid top and back when he did the neck reset on mine. I should have asked about the sides but didn't think to. Having laminate sides would not be unusual for a guitar in the Gibson "Student" level quality at the time.

As to what it is like. I can say it is nothing like my Taylor or my Advanced Jumbo in any way. Both of those have tones that would be described with more sustain, overtones etc. In other words, more complex sounding. The LG1 has a much more muted, dry sound. It is not a loud guitar and eaisly is lost in a mix if other guitars are playing around it. I took care of that by having a K & K Mini Western pickup in it which sounds wonderful and when played through an acoustic amp or PA, it sounds killer! But when it comes to playing unplugged or plugged in, fingerstyle blues tunes, especially with a vocal accompaniment, it is a very special tone that only a ladder braced old Gibson can give you. It is one of my most comfortable guitars to play (right next to my Grand Concert size Taylor). I can tell you when I walk into my music room and all three acoustics are there to grab, I almost always grab the LG1 first and many times it is the only one I play for those hours. Very fun guitars and still affordable.

Here is what I have been told. My 64 LG1 has a solid sitka spruce top' date=' solid mahogany back and laminate mahogany sides. I know I have read it a couple places when I was researching my guitar, but I can't remember where. I do know the back is solid. When I got it, it had a small (less than 1/2 inch) crack in the back that had been professionally repaired. My luthier also confirmed it was solid top and back when he did the neck reset on mine. I should have asked about the sides but didn't think to. Having laminate sides would not be unusual for a guitar in the Gibson "Student" level quality at the time.

As to what it is like. I can say it is nothing like my Taylor or my Advanced Jumbo in any way. Both of those have tones that would be described with more sustain, overtones etc. In other words, more complex sounding. The LG1 has a much more muted, dry sound. It is not a loud guitar and eaisly is lost in a mix if other guitars are playing around it. I took care of that by having a K & K Mini Western pickup in it which sounds wonderful and when played through an acoustic amp or PA, it sounds killer! But when it comes to playing unplugged or plugged in, fingerstyle blues tunes, especially with a vocal accompaniment, it is a very special tone that only a ladder braced old Gibson can give you. It is one of my most comfortable guitars to play (right next to my Grand Concert size Taylor). I can tell you when I walk into my music room and all three acoustics are there to grab, I almost always grab the LG1 first and many times it is the only one I play for those hours. Very fun guitars and still affordable. [/quote']

What you said makes sense...having laminate sides would not be that unusual for a student level guitar. Glad to hear you confirmed the back of an LG1 is solid wood. Gotta agree with your description of how a LG1 sounds. Fits the acoustic description of mine to a T. Mine also changes when I use it through an acoustic amp or a PA (in my case with a Fishman Humbucker soundhold pickup.) The only other thing to add is the LG1 with its sunburst is really good lookin' (mine is Cherry sunburst which I like, but the dark vintage sunburst looks great, too.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

My first 'keeper' was a 64 LG1 I bought new. I had it up until a year ago when I gave it to my son. I had never got another one because the LG was perfect as far as I was concerned. So, I have a little bias - I have to admit. It was here I first learned that ladder bracing was undesirable. That the bridge was plastic, and that the sides were laminate.

I never was sure on the laminate. The grain was not that different between the inside and outside. My luthier never mentioned it. As far as tone, ease of playing and guitar 'sexiness' - I still give it all A+s. That's not to say that her replacement ('04 SJ200) doesn't also get A+s. But -for fingerpicking and funky blues - I don't think you can do much better than an LG1 for the price. G'luck.

I am contemplating buying a friends Gibson LG 1 [58' - 60's]. He's had it for a few years and out of all the guitars he's bought and restored, this little thing is the best playing sweetest sounding instrument he's owned. He claims these go for $1200-$1500; however despite the guitars perfect sound,and amazing playability(sounds awesome all the way up the neck), it has many repaired cracks on the top, the pick guard has been glued back down as to repair a crack underneath, and the binding is cracked w/pieces missing. As it is, I need to know what a reasonable offer would be. Asking Price is $750 [w/a new case $800].

need to know ASAP b/f its sold on ebay. Thanks

Archived