Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton....finger picked blues.....does it get any better????

onewilyfool

Sorry but yeah a whole lot better. To my ears Clapton is a great technician but he is just plain sterile sounding when it comes to finger pickin' acoustic blues. Ain't got that, what Gary Davis once called, sportin' right hand.

But as for does it get any better, here ya go - Alvin Youngblood Hart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFMqKvvSLM

Excellent - as usual, Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra provide a superb backing.

Never seen EC live, but that will all change next month when my darling girlfriend got us tickets for Beck & Clapton at the O2 - can't wait.

Sorry but yeah a whole lot better. To my ears Clapton is a great technician but he is just plain sterile sounding when it comes to finger pickin' acoustic blues. Ain't got that' date=' what Gary Davis once called, sportin' right hand.

But as for does it get any better, here ya go - Alvin Youngblood Hart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFMqKvvSLM[/quote']

Zomby, I agree with you.....When Clapton plays acoustic blues like on his unplugged album, it is pretty error free, tight and technical....compared to Alvin for instance. But the video above is really an electric version where he uses his fingers instead of a pic to play the leads. There is another version of this same song on the web with Clapton playing the song with a pic. I don't think it matters to him. I just would love to have this finger speed and ability to play electric without a pic.....that is what I meant..

Some curious comments here. As Wiley points out in his last post, this clip is as far from acoustic as blues can get.

As to the quality of the Clapton performance, I'd take Fulson's voice over Clapton's any day (though I like Clapton's voice), but I'd prefer Clapton's playing on this tune. He's dropped his pick and does a fabulous job of getting that West Coast, staccato, percussive sound. This is especially impressive to my ears given that Clapton's usual style is far different.

And, it's always good to hear Clapton play a Gibson electric. That's the Cream era ES-335 that I witnessed sell at the second of his Christie's auction.

Thanks, Wiley, for flagging this one for us.

Archived