Gibson Brands Forums

Another Pedal Question.

Andre S

What kind of sounds are you after? what amp and guitar do you plan to use the pedal with? remember some pedals work better with some amps.

Well, I was basing my pedal choices, on sounds of mainly, Joe Bonamassa and Johnny A, and possibly Clapton..

So far, I know Bonamassa uses the Way Huge Pork Loin, and the TS808. The Marshall Blues Breaker 2 and the dunlop original wah, were the other two..

All going into my Gibson LP Studio, and Super Champ XD...I may use amp gain too, or not, not sure till I have the pedals.

Start on the basics man. One pedal at a time and learn to listen to each one of them, play around and you will get their differences. Remember that each pedal works better, not only with some kind of amps, but with certain guitars as well.

My suggestion: get a good Overdrive pedal, something classic (like TS808, TS9, SD-1) and a good distortion (if you want one) and go from there. Don't spend too much on pedals. Because you could have spent the same money on amps, which are SO better & important tone-shaping tools.

[cool]

Start on the basics man. One pedal at a time and learn to listen to each one of them' date=' play around and you will get their differences. Remember that each pedal works better, not only with some kind of amps, but with certain guitars as well.

My suggestion: get a good Overdrive pedal, something classic (like TS808, TS9, SD-1) and a good distortion (if you want one) and go from there. Don't spend too much on pedals. Because you could have spent the same money on amps, which are SO better & important tone-shaping tools.

[cool

Ok I know what I really meant, is it redundant to have a TS808 and a Blues Breaker in the same chain?

Bonamassa uses a TS808 and Way Huge Pork Loin in the same chain so I don't think thats not redundant.

Ok I know what I really meant' date=' is it redundant to have a TS808 and a Blues Breaker in the same chain?

Bonamassa uses a TS808 and Way Huge Pork Loin in the same chain so I don't think thats not redundant.[/quote']

There are rules but no laws about stacking your pedals man! Try it and see if it works. Just a note: going after a particular tone is very tricky. You will have to see what there is in the whole chain of your favourite artist: from guitar & strings to the cabinet he uses..

There are rules but no laws about stacking your pedals man! Try it and see if it works. Just a note: going after a particular tone is very tricky. You will have to see what there is in the whole chain of your favourite artist: from guitar & strings to the cabinet he uses..

Oh, no no, I'm not trying to imitate his sound, really, I just like how he made those pedals sound, I don't want his sound, I just want the part with that pedal!!

Don't get the BB-2. I have one, it's a muddy mess on the low end and shrill on the high end. If anything try the kit for the clone for the BB-1, the original Blues Breaker from generalguitargadgets.com.

If Bonamassa's sound is what you're after, know that Joe's sound mainly comes from his amps, which are 4 loud tube amps running at the same time, and most of the time they're boutique amps that cost thousands of dollars. His OD pedals seem to be used mainly for boosting purposes. If that is indeed what you're after, I think you'll find a pedal that imitates a Dumble amp, like the Hermida Zen Drive + a nice delay pedal will get you closest for the least cash.

With Clapton, if you're talking about modern Clapton, his tone comes almost entirely from his Strat loaded with Lace Sensors. Without that, or at least a Strat, you're on a wild goose chase. Of course, if you're talking about Cream-era Clapton, I think a Tube Screamer with your current rig will serve quite nicely.

And no, chaining more than one overdrive pedal is absolutely not redundant. In fact, it's how many artists find their signature sound.

Don't get the BB-2. I have one' date=' it's a muddy mess on the low end and shrill on the high end. If anything try the kit for the clone for the BB-1, the original Blues Breaker from generalguitargadgets.com.

If Bonamassa's sound is what you're after, know that Joe's sound mainly comes from his amps, which are 4 loud tube amps running at the same time, and most of the time they're boutique amps that cost thousands of dollars. His OD pedals seem to be used mainly for boosting purposes. If that is indeed what you're after, I think you'll find a pedal that imitates a Dumble amp, like the Hermida Zen Drive + a nice delay pedal will get you closest for the least cash.

With Clapton, if you're talking about modern Clapton, his tone comes almost entirely from his Strat loaded with Lace Sensors. Without that, or at least a Strat, you're on a wild goose chase. Of course, if you're talking about Cream-era Clapton, I think a Tube Screamer with your current rig will serve quite nicely.

And no, chaining more than one overdrive pedal is absolutely not redundant. In fact, it's how many artists find their signature sound.[/quote']

Thanks man, yeah, I know about JB's dozens of amps....He has others too, like a Bogner, or Class 5, a lot that he switches in and out, but it mainly seems that his main stay amp heads are the Marshall Silver Jubilee and the Dumble clone.

So the BB-2 isn't that great?

Hmm...glad I have you guys online, especially since the stores here suck......

So a TS808, Dunlop Original, and I'll check out the Hermida Zen Drive....oh yea, can't forget my pork loins!!!!!!!!! [-([lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin]

Aah yes. The eternal tone quest of your latest resident hero can go on and on and on and........

STOP!

Discover "your" sound. Do not imitate. Ever. Even if you might be starting out(which you sound like).

No one is ever satisfied with their sound. Even when we have something that we class as our own(though we never know it)we still keep pushing.

So...keep on keeping on.When you find yourself smiling to yourself as you're playing that's a start.

Aah yes. The eternal tone quest of your latest resident hero can go on and on and on and........

STOP!

Discover "your" sound. Do not imitate. Ever. Even if you might be starting out(which you sound like).

No one is ever satisfied with their sound. Even when we have something that we class as our own(though we never know it)we still keep pushing.

So...keep on keeping on.When you find yourself smiling to yourself as you're playing that's a start.

+1

I have learned this at a young age. I was trying to cover a song and get the sound perfect. In this search, I actually found a sound that made the song sound really cool.

Search for your own, it will sound cooler and better to you, since it's your own.

Archived