Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Colored Strings?

ElGinger

At my guitar lesson yesterday, I snapped a string. That tells me that I need a new set. When I took them off, I realized that they were an odd orange color where I had played, sort of like rust. They were not smooth, which means they had dirt on them. So I need to know: How to stop my magical color changing strings, and how to clean strings if they get dirty. I don't like to play after washing my hands because my calluses are soft, leading my to blisters. My strings aren't weird, I use D'Addario 9 gauge. Any help would be appreciated, thanks very much.

What LPguitarman said.

You really should wash your hands before playing though. You don't have to scrub the heck out of them under boiling hot water, but just enough to clean off the dirt and oil; not only will your strings last longer, but your guitar's finish and metal parts will too and your fretboard won't be covered in gunk. If your callouses aren't that tough yet, wait five minutes after you wash your hands before playing.

Strangs are a consumable. When they sound or look ugly, change them. As a point of reference, most pickers change strangs more often than they change batteries in their smoke detector, but less often than they change underwear.

Oh, and welcome.

I agree.

And I'm not that crazy about 'em on acoustics anymore either.

New Guy - try to find strings with a high nickel content, brand isn't that important.

They resist rust longer.

I use 'em on everything.

Do you live in a humid climate?

I left Houston for Phoenix 10 years ago and my strings NEVER rust now.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

[biggrin]

Archived