Gibson Brands Forums

Ibanez Flying V Project (A Work In Progress)

FirstMeasure

I bought this V several years ago. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the condition it was in when I got it. This before Digital Photography, so I was out of film :-

It was in many pieces, the electronics were still soldered together, minus the pickup which had it's wires cut. All electronics including pick up were in the case (the original case)[biggrin]. The neck was off and the Body had been poorly sanded. Someone didn't know how to use sandpaper, you could see how they used two fingers to hold the paper.

All that was missing was one Strap Button, One neck Screw, Both Knobs, and one Saddle was stripped out.

I had my brother paint the body after I sanded it properly, right now it still sports the Black Base coat he gave it. It still awaits it's final paint, which it gets soon as I decide what I wanna do to it. Maybe Machine Grey, maybe some sort of Graphic.....don't know yet.

Eventually I put it together to see if it was playable. It was, and here it is in that stage (the knobs are of an old CB radio).

2856287550100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

2647195760100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Last night, I soldered the original Pick Up in and fixed a loose ground. I thought I took before and after pics, but can't find them anywhere [angry].

Cleaned everything up real good, gave it a gold tooth and a set up.

2377552450100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

The Neck is perfectly straight, and all it's intonation is just swell!! [biggrin]

2338436740100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

2174819190100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

2765394220100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

At least it still had this original strap button

FM' date=' that's going to be sweet when you get it finished. How did it sound when you plugged it in?[biggrin']

Thanks, I'll be painting it in a couple months. It's too cold up here for that, I want it to cure properly. It has a very 80's bedroom sounding pickup in it, it would go great with a Gorilla Amp. The tone pot was a little scratchy, too, so I'm thinking I might just be putting in aftermarket everything [cool] . It plays great, very fast neck.[-(

Damn that thing is nice!

Sound clips!

Thanks Dem00n [cool] . I'll work on the pick up height tomorrow and then record a couple demos. Maybe up against my Nighthawk and Lace Loaded Strat for reference. If it doesn't match up, it's new Pickup Time. Maybe a Duncan or DiMArzio or...hmmm.....

Very nice job FM! I dig Flying Vs and I have always wanted to feel the joy of slowly building a unique instrument just for yourself...

Really nice...[cool]

Thanks a lot Hector. I plan on sanding and priming once or twice more, then a clear coat over whatever I end up with. It's fun and worth it. I don't now why I waited so long to fix this thing up.

Thanks Dem00n [cool] . I'll work on the pick up height tomorrow and then record a couple demos. Maybe up against my Nighthawk and Lace Loaded Strat for reference. If it doesn't match up' date=' it's new Pickup Time. Maybe a Duncan or DiMArzio or...hmmm.....[/quote']

Dual lace w/ coil tap perhaps?

Archived