Gibson Brands Forums

Help determining value of 1963 Les Paul

box33w

Hi - I'm looking for some help in finding a value for my guitar. It is a 1963 Les Paul, however, this model has the Les Paul logo up by the tuners. This is throwing me off in many of the descriptions I am finding. If anyone could give me a jumpstart on it, that would be great. The guitar is in pretty great condition and still gets played on occasion.

Thank you!

lespaul1.jpg

lespaul2.jpg

Great article Sellen..

I first thought G4life's quote was low.. after reading the article it's way low.

Vintage Price Value For 2009 :

1961 - 1963 > $19 000 to $25 000 ( SG les paul standard )

1963 - 1965 > $18 000 to $25 000 ( SG Standard )

1966 - 1967 > $7 000 to $8 000

1968 - 1969 > $6 500 to $8 000

1970 - 1975 > $2 500 to $4 000

1976 - 2000> $1 200 to $1 600

Great article Sellen..

I first thought G4life's quote was low.. after reading the article it's way low.

Shush....:-k . I was about to offer him 5k! Now I'm screwed [laugh]

WOW box33w. What a beautiful guitar you have. All the mojo you will ever want in a guitar! Man I'm in LOVE..[thumbup]

Thanx Xinnix... is this for real? How do I begin to even take care of something like this? I'm pretty jazzed as it's something my dad has played since I was a kid and has been sitting around his house under his bed forever. I am from Minnesota and my Dad thinks he purchased it in Virginia, MN.

The actual value of a vintage instrument is not only affected by the cosmetic condition (breaks, repairs, chips, dings, etc.) but more importantly originality (tuners, pups, pots, frets, etc.) The closer to "all original" condition, the greater the value of the instrument. The original case also helps. The good news is since it's your Dad's, he can give you a complete history of the guitar. If it's 100% original and in excellent condition with no issues whatsoever you're going to get a lot more for it. Never mind what the "Vintage Price Guide" says it's worth, the market dictates what you'll actually get for it. The current vintage guitar market is low compared to recent years, much like home values.

That's a real beauty you've got there!

Yeah... my dad bought it in college in 1963. Has played it through the early seventies and since has sat under a bed at my folks' house. I recently picked it up and started playing it until I found out it's value. All parts are original, still sings, and it's really fun to have a part of history. I really appreciate all the info I'm getting about it in this post!!!

Thanx Xinnix... is this for real? How do I begin to even take care of something like this?

You begin by giving your Dad a HUGE HUG-!.

Then play it. If you don't already know how I'm sure your Dad would love to show you.

Man, I want a dad like yours! :P

Archived