Gibson Brands Forums

scored a cool historic SG

TattooedCarrot

I think my long gone '63 had "Made in USA stamped on the back of the headstock???? Also, the tuners had Kluson on them? and the pups had numbers??? The ABR-1 saddle also had a circular logo on it??? NICE LOOKING GUITAR........PERIOD..........J

I think my long gone '63 had "Made in USA stamped on the back of the headstock???? Also' date=' the tuners had Kluson on them? and the pups had numbers??? The ABR-1 saddle also had a circular logo on it??? NICE LOOKING GUITAR........PERIOD..........J[/quote']

Yes, agree. Regardless this one is just a cool SG. Whatever became of your '63?

If you look closely, you can see the pots have the current style Gibson logo stamped across them, little ceramic caps, and the rubber inculcators over the wires. I got it from an ebay seller after an overseas bidder couldn't work out shipping. The story was it's NOS that's been passed around to various stores in a chain and so parts were lost and it faded for some reason. It’s not due to arrive to me until Thursday so we'll see what it looks like in person when it arrives. It cost me several hundred less than a new regular production non-historic 61RI.

Yes' date=' agree. Regardless this one is just a cool SG. Whatever became of your '63?[/quote']

LPDEN...Thanks for asking what became of my '63, S/N 135987. NOT.. lol (love/hate kinda thing). I know I posted this here before under other topics. Long story. I bought it in I think 1970 for $50.00 in it's full glory, complete with the maestro vibrola with lyre etching. It had been sitting in some guys closet in a soft shell case. I did some mods/duh mods on it (details if you like) then bought a '68 white Strat which became my main ax. Years later I sold it back to the guy that sold it to me for $500 and I've regretted it from that day on. It was stolen from his Van a couple months after.... Still have most of the Strat now though, so there is still lineage to that beauty..........J

LPDEN...Thanks for asking what became of my '63' date=' S/N 135987. NOT.. lol (love/hate kinda thing). I know I posted this here before under other topics. Long story. I bought it in I think 1970 for $50.00 in it's full glory, complete with the maestro vibrola with lyre etching. It had been sitting in some guys closet in a soft shell case. I did some mods/duh mods on it (details if you like) then bought a '68 white Strat which became my main ax. Years later I sold it back to the guy that sold it to me for $500 and I've regretted it from that day on. It was stolen from his Van a couple months after.... Still have most of the Strat now though, so there is still lineage to that beauty..........J[/quote']

Wow that's some story. I could fill a few pages worth with some of my buyong and selling over the years, alot of great guitars well beofre the big boom of collecting. Mostly Strats and Teles, but a fee LP's here and there.

Too bad about the theft, that really stinks. For more than security reasons, I would ever leave my gear in an automobile. Especially in extremem hot or cold weather, that can play havoc on a guitar.

If you look closely' date=' you can see the pots have the current style Gibson logo stamped across them, little ceramic caps, and the rubber inculcators over the wires. I got it from an ebay seller after an overseas bidder couldn't work out shipping. The story was it's NOS that's been passed around to various stores in a chain and so parts were lost and it faded for some reason. It’s not due to arrive to me until Thursday so we'll see what it looks like in person when it arrives. It cost me several hundred less than a new regular production non-historic 61RI.[/quote']

Awsome find TC...........=D>

Man I am flaming pissed right now. I just called home and spoke to my 17-year-old son to see if the SG had arrived as scheduled. He said UPS brought it to the front door, but refused to let my son bring it in the house because the seller placed a 21-year-old signature restriction on it. LAME!! He didn't even warn me that he did so, otherwise I could have made arrangements. What if I was a 20-year-old buyer, I couldn't even get my own package? If I had known the seller was going to do this, I could have made other arrangements, but its near impossible for me to take time off this short notice without an emergency.

So I called UPS and spoke to a supervisor who told me that they will not waive the age requirement - period. Not even if the shipper walks into UPS with his paperwork asking to amend his own shipment. They will hold it for pickup for 5 days, but again its only M-F during business hours. If I could do that, I could just be home to receive it in the first place.

I asked if they could hold it at the UPS hub for a pickup tonight (I called at 6PM), but I'm about 60 miles away from it at work (in SoCal traffic) and they would not tell me how late I could get it. They told me they will call me back and give me a specific appointment time to come get it which is usually a 1 to 1.5 hour window; sounded very odd. Again, they won't allow me to come get it on the weekend.

I've already emailed the seller and informed him it's probably coming back to him in about another 10 days he should have it. It's either going to take me several weeks for it to go back and forth again, or several hundred $$ in pay if I can scam a day off. I'm severely impacted by his unannounced decision to put a simple age limit on it, something he probably thought was a good idea. I could see a signature, but over 21? F***!!! at least warn me!!!

I just called UPS, they will not waive the requirement, not even if the shipper walks into UPS with his paperwork asking to amend his own shipment. They will hold it for pickup for 5 days, but again its only M-F during business hours. If I could do that, I could just be home to receive it in the first place. They confirmed the only alternative is to send it back to the shipper, which is where it will be going.

It made it and its safe and sound in my hands. Very cool guitar. If I didn't know better, I could swear this is an actual vintage guitar. Whatever life its lived the past 8 years is much more realistic than Tom Murphy could pull off!!

I got it home and the fretboard was very very dry. I rubbed a thick coat of Fifer into it and man it's some nice streaky rosewood. This isn't braz is it? Not sure what it looks like or if they were using it in 2000 for any historics. I doubt it, but it does look cool.

IMG_7528.jpg

Here's a quick pic

IMG_7533.jpg

Very nice TC.

It looks like it was deliberately put in the sun to fade.

The board would not be Brazilian, and no matter what anyone says, you cannot tell from appearances alone.

It will be very tough to get a nickel Vibrola cover alone on ebay.

A complete nickel Vibrola will probably cost about $500 on ebay.

If Gibson had any sense they would sell Vibrola parts.

Great story, I've been on the valium with the stress!

Glad its all worked out for you. Lovely guitar! You just need to stick a screw driver unter the strings and play the slide parts to Free Bird!

Archived