Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson aj15na acoustic guitar - help please !

jomilnerguitars

hello,

would anybody be able to tell me if the aj15na - serial number z00090402 - is this a gibson (even though i am being told it definately has gibson on the headstock!?) or an epiphone? please could you let me know as i will not purchase if not gibson! from the picture it does look like there is a logo/emblem on the scratchplate? look forward to your responses and i dont mean to hurry, but a deal is in hand!! cheers jo x

alot of 'sellers' try to pass off epis as gibsons by making a few clever (sometimes, not clever) adjustments by changing the headstock, sound hole label and borrowing a gibson serial # to name a few. beware. the aj15 aint a bad guitar but was only worth about $200 new and i'm pretty sure they are no longer in production. come to think of it, the late 90's and early 2000's had truss rod covers that had 'gibson' written on it.

epi makes some awesome acoustics (and electrics) but the are mostly priced way below that of their gibson counterparts.

thank you once again for the info - but i still cant believe that gibson put its logo on the headstock? I am not disbelieving you of course! but name me (now you are going to reel off a long line of names....) any other makes which are not solely gibson that have gibson/logo on the headstock? (excluding educational series).

i would also like to mention that this is a private sale, a lady who is selling it for her brother and knows nothing about it at all. Nothing has been modified or changed, it is as it originally is. she is advertising it as a gibson as it has gibson on headstock etc.

now you are all going to prove me wrong arent you!! (OH AND I SO WANTED IT TO BE A GIBSON!) x

... but i still cant believe that gibson put its logo on the headstock? ...

You've got a lot to learn

Here's a couple of site's with pics:

http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-7283.htm

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-13646-EPIPHONE-AJ15-NA

Both of the examples have Epiphone headstock logo.

Obviously someone changed the headstock logo to either make believe it's a nicer guitar or trick someone like you into paying a higher price than the guitar is worth.

but i still cant believe that gibson put its logo on the headstock?

Gibson didn't put it there, someone else did!! You can find fakes all day long with Gibson written on them, or Martin.

People take a $150. guitar & try to get 1,000, 0r 2,000. You've got to be careful!!

well, i just knew i would be wrong!! thank you all so much, i have found the spec and yes, you were all right. found the information under the guitar data project - ephi:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Zaozhuang Saehan, China

September 2000

Production Number: 0402

Zaozhuang Saehan Music Co., Ltd.

Zaozhuang Saehan Music Co., Ltd. This company has been around for 40 years and specialize in acoustic guitars. The have factories in Korea and China.

thank you all so much for all your answers - its been fun, we must do it again!!

CHEERS EVERYONE... JO X

(GOING TO POST ANOTHER QUESTION AND YOU ALL THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL!!)

• 10 years later...

this can't be a gibson unless it has magic inicorn dust sprinkled on it.  Thats what makes gibson so much better than everything else in the world.  Even though they are  made to gibson specs and inspected by gibson luthiers epiphones just aren't as good as gibson.  Something else besides the unicorn dust that makes gibson so much better is that enormous price tag they all have. 

Unlsss I am missing something, given that the AJ15 was a standard Epi model and the serial number starting with a "z" denoted the guitar was not built at Bozeman and in fact told you what factory produced it,  I am not sure where the confusion was.  

52 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Unlsss I am missing something, given that the AJ15 was a standard Epi model and the serial number starting with a "z" denoted the guitar was not built at Bozeman and in fact told you what factory produced it,  I am not sure where the confusion was.  

The confusion stems from  "Emmitt the Newbie"  trolling a 10 year old thread. 

22 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

The confusion stems from  "Emmitt the Newbie"  trolling a 10 year old thread. 

In case anyone else hasn’t noticed lately there are lot of similar newbie’s posting some kinda ridiculous things under a guise of being naive.  Kinda like somebody who knows what kinds of naive questions or posts to ask or write.   I wonder if it’s actually all the same person or persons, trolling under different naive guises.   The Gibson Acoustic and Epiphone Acoustic forums’ Admin might want to check some of their ISP addresses to check if many of the newbie type possible trolls are coming from the same ISP address or addresses.  On the other hand if some of the newbies are legit, by all means welcome to the forums, and hope we can share our knowledge with ya’s.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1