Gibson Brands Forums

Toyota Faces Criminal Investigation....

Murph

It'll just piss you off.

There's not another car company out there operated with the integrity Toyota has shown over the decades.

I've never owned one, but it's not because I don't think they're any good.

This hysteria begins every time there's a recall that gets repeated in the media.

Buncha sh!t.....

And the MORON who killed his family due to a "stuck accelerator" was late in removing himself from the gene pool.

He had already reproduced and spread his DNA.

I absolutely could not believe that story when I read it - except that it happened in California.

Basically it appears that the computer-controlled accelerator pedals on Toyotas stick or increase the vehicle speed unexpectedly. Also the brakes on the hybrid vehicles are funky. Very funky since they also are kinda under control of the computer that decides when the car is gasoline and when it's electric and how the turning wheels are or aren't charging up the batteries.

To me the bottom line is kinda more that Toyota went a bit over its engineering head in trying to be all that technologically advanced and got caught.

It also wouldn't exactly shock me if other car companies end up in the same situation as we start playing games with miles per gallon and smog controls.

For example, I can die if my Jeep doesn't start in winter, but if the vehicle doesn't have a certain level of charge in the battery, it won't start even through there is plenty to get the engine running. I figure that cuts the odds of blizzard survival somewhere from 10 to 90 percent if the temperature and winds are really nasty. But who cares, the computer keeps you from adding hydrocarbons to the air.

m

I figure that cuts the odds of blizzard survival somewhere from 10 to 90 percent if the temperature and winds are really nasty. But who cares' date=' the computer keeps you from adding hydrocarbons to the air.

m

[/quote']

There ya go.....

[biggrin]

It'll just piss you off.

There's not another car company out there operated with the integrity Toyota has shown over the decades.

I've never owned one' date=' but it's not because I don't think they're any good.

This hysteria begins every time there's a recall that gets repeated in the media.

Buncha sh!t.....

And the MORON who killed his family due to a "stuck accelerator" was late in removing himself from the gene pool.

He had already reproduced and spread his DNA.

I absolutely could not believe that story when I read it - except that it happened in California.[/quote']

So the government, gets to ridicule Toyota

Oddly enough, they are their largest competitors.... Just sayin' [biggrin]

I have a Corolla, my mom has a newer one that is under the recall.

Nathan... Yeah, your older T should be okay because it's not so computer controlled.

Shucks, I remember when I literally was capable of taking a car apart and putting it back together. It'd take a long time and I'd still need some specialized but mostly hand tools, but it was possible. A straight "6" Plymouth of 1959 was pretty darned easy to work on.

And I make no claims whatsoever about being much of a mechanic. It's just that it was pretty straightforward "mechanical" in those days.

Now? The interlocking computer-managed stuff is incredibly complex. Except for some of the few mechanical sorts of things that ain't changed much over the past 50 years, I don't even try to think about work on my own vehicle.

It's the computer stuff that perhaps has exceeded the practical in order to meet federal (and some state) mandates.

It's like the high cost of putting in all those air bags for federal "safety" ratings that significantly increases costs of cars. Of course our national population has doubled since my 1955 first car, and heaven knows how many more cars are on the road.

I had a 1957 Chrysler that cruised nicely at 80+ mph average on paved but lotza slow spots at 27 miles per gallon, over 30 mpg at 70. But it was a nasty gas guzzler and polluter in Cali, we were told, so... now a car that will seat six and cruise at 30 mph at 70 costs how much more?

Interesting.

m

Archived