Gibson Brands Forums

So I was thinking...

Silenced Fred

Will people really think of Jonas Brothers as Classic Rock?

I wouldn't imagine so.

In the world of (what we usually understand when someone mentions) 'classical' music we tend to think of the Baroque guys; Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Mozart etc...etc... rather than Varese, Maxwell-Davis, Stockhausen.

Classic Rock will probably still mean Led Zeppelin, Free, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Chas'n'Dave etc...etc...

If this turns into another "Let's hate Fred thread".... [biggrin]

Will the pity party ever end. First it was the Goodbye thread by XDemon

and now this. They act like a bunch of little wussies. If you can't take the

heat get out of the kitchen.

CW

Lately I've been playing a lot of Yacht Clubs, Country Clubs and other clubs where the aging "baby boomers" go (short hours and better pay). They of course want the music of their youth, everything from Elvis Presley to the Disco era. And it's both the good and the not-so-good songs of the era.

They always say, "They don't write them like that anymore".

Personally, I'm a believer that there is both good and bad music from any generation, but that's straying from the point.

The point is.

Lately I've been thinking about the Rap generation getting older, joining Yacht Clubs, moving into condominiums, and expecting some younger people to play Rap music, and saying "They don't write them like that anymore."

To me that's a funny thought.

Blue haired ladies saying, "Do you know any Snoop Dog?"

Insights and incites by Notes

I dunno...

In 1939 - a great year for movies and music - Larry Clinton's "orchestra" and singer Bea Wain did some #1 tunes that have been redone and became far better known. The songs like "deep purple," and "Heart and Soul" have been "classics" of the swing era, but we mostly hear "thicker" orchestration from better-known groups on these pieces, or they've been messed with big time.

So... I think we may see much of the same, depending.

There's one problem to much of this thinking, though, in that "popular music of the 20th and entry into the 21st century" has essentially been the technology of 1890 combined with the sales appeal of 2 to 3 minute musical presentations. It's kinda like the "miniatures," very small paintings, as opposed to murals that have the parallel of stuff like Bach or whatever.

Another advantage to "pop" songs is that they traditionally have allowed a couple to dance together for a practical time period so as not to run out of air even if they're not in all that good physical condition.

My guess is that as our tech lets us do a lotta stuff with music, we may get back to increasingly longer pieces and that some folks are going to have to learn a bunch about doing longer compositions.

But on the other hand, the stuff with great technical virtuosity, musicality and a time segment that doesn't take half the afternoon likely will last best into the future. But I wouldn't be surprised if at a certain point it's more "covers" than originals, even as the fancier arrangements or "updated" versions of early "swing" are better known today.

It will be interesting - although I'll most likely be "gone" - to see if folks still get together to dance to their old music as "Notes" has suggested in their middle age into old age. I have a hunch they'll go for the more musical stuff as opposed to rap. Gotta be careful of dancing styles, too, when one is on one's second or third set of knee replacements.

BTW, Bob, I think I envy you those gigs!

m

Archived