Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with all the "Signature" models??

RASHARU

Why do so many guitar companies offer "signature" models from various so-called super stars? Do people really like that kind of stuff? Just looking for your opinions .......

In days of yore, I was, like you, really turned off by signature models and couldn't imagine wanting one. However, I've been worn down. First, I had a couple with labels signed by the builders, which seemed reasonable -- a plus even. Next, a couple of years ago, came a signature model with a label signed by the artist. I was a little hesitant. But, after all (I told myself), the model really was designed by the artist who signed it: he chose the body shape, neck width and profile, top wood species, back and side wood species, bracing style, tuners, trim, etc. Plus, you couldn't tell without a look in the sound hole. And there was no way to get a non-signature model that was even roughly equivalent without spending a lot more for a custom model. So I caved, and wound up becoming perfectly comfortable with it. Then, last week, I got exposed to an absolutely stellar signature model. Designed by the signatory, no non-signature non-custom approximate equivalent, unique tone, a joy to play, and lovely ... except for that inlaid signature on the neck. After listening to a couple owned by other folks for a few days, and trying them out, I had to have one. Now I do. While I'd rather the signature weren't there, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So, never say never. The signature might be a minus, but the pluses of a signature model can far outweigh the minuses.

-- Bob R

Gibson.

Fender.

Martin.

Those are men's names' date=' the founders of their companies.

[i']Every[/i] model bears their name. You're just used to it.

See, it' not so bad.

Red 333

Good point there Red 333. You'll also notice that my family below has a couple of "home-grown" heroes that were built by a good luthier friend of mine. He first built me an advanced/modified version of the famed Double-O style guitar. That particular one is my definite "go to" guitar. It travels EVERYWHERE with me & it doesn't even have a case! The other is a stunning Triple-O that I kinda dreamed-up myself. Master grade cedar top with an oversized soundhole. Good ol' East Indian rosewood B&S. Flamed maple binding & a wide 1-7/8" nut. I call it my "steel string classical".

So, to sum things up.. I do actually support the relative no-name guitars as well as the pearl-name ones. I'm an equal opportunity fingerpicker.

Come on RAR....we want names, model numbers, companies making these signature guitars...don't leave us hanging!!!! What do you have and what did you get???????

In days of yore' date=' I was, like you, really turned off by signature models and couldn't imagine wanting one. However, I've been worn down. First, I had a couple with labels signed by the builders, which seemed reasonable -- a plus even. Next, a couple of years ago, came a signature model with a label signed by the artist. I was a little hesitant. But, after all (I told myself), the model really was designed by the artist who signed it: he chose the body shape, neck width and profile, top wood species, back and side wood species, bracing style, tuners, trim, etc. Plus, you couldn't tell without a look in the sound hole. And there was no way to get a non-signature model that was even roughly equivalent without spending a lot more for a custom model. So I caved, and wound up becoming perfectly comfortable with it. Then, last week, I got exposed to an absolutely stellar signature model. Designed by the signatory, no non-signature non-custom approximate equivalent, unique tone, a joy to play, and lovely ... except for that inlaid signature on the neck. After listening to a couple owned by other folks for a few days, and trying them out, I had to have one. Now I do. While I'd rather the signature weren't there, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So, never say never. The signature might be a minus, but the pluses of a signature model can far outweigh the minuses.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Come on RAR....we want names' date=' model numbers, companies making these signature guitars...don't leave us hanging!!!! What do you have and what did you get???????

[/quote']

Well, as I've said before, I'm not really in favor of singing the praises of other manufacturer's guitars in Gibson's forum. But I guess, like poor hapless Hamilton Burger, I've opened the door. So, .... The few-year-old one is a Martin HJ-38 Stefan Grossman -- my first and, until a few days ago, only Martin -- and the new one is a Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen.

-- Bob R

I wouldn't mind having a Guild T-200 (T-250?) Roy Buchanan model but in that particular case it would be like framing a photo of a car wreck. I don't think they sold many' date=' and Roy actually put electrical tape over the logo for a while.[/quote']

That would make it twice as cool to own one !!![biggrin]

Well' date=' as I've said before, I'm not really in favor of singing the praises of other manufacturer's guitars in Gibson's forum. But I guess, like poor hapless Hamilton Burger, I've opened the door. So, .... The few-year-old one is a Martin HJ-38 Stefan Grossman -- my first and, until a few days ago, only Martin -- and the new one is a Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

I post over at Sefan's Woodshed forum (sorry....my nick there is Sands4us) and Stefan does play that guitar very regularly in performance .. He has also posted over there a few time through-out the process with Martin and he did put a lot of his input into the model. Sort of a "His Dream Guitar" specs.

I am not really a signature model guy....but Bob .... I am jealous [biggrin]

......what about that Gibson Les Paul?

or the Nick Lucas. Or the various Chet Atkins. In my book' date=' a new model that meets player specs is [i']sigworthy[/i] . I dont mind [not that it mattes] using a sig to roll out a vintage model that's been out of production, the 00028ec being a case in point, though Im happier at the end of the day when the roll em over to vintage series (ex 0018 Eliz. Cotton to 0018v). Putting pearly widgets on the fretboard or what have you on a std model? Not so much.

I think it would say more for a company if an artist used an 'off the rack' model. Pick a name, any name, one that is associated with an artist model. I have the suspicion that the ones they play are set up to the Nth degree, woods hand picked, all that. Even though they may have a sig model, their particular guitar(s) might not be representative of what's being offered to the general public. If Joe Schmoe played a stock 000-18, it seems that would lend more credence to his choice and would draw his fan base to that model based on merit rather than him specifying an eagle inlay on the 17th fret and his signature on the headstock. And to give the company an excuse to double the price.

Having said that, I have owned a dozen Les Pauls, a Gibson Chet Atkins AND a Gretsch Chet Atkins, and a Herb Ellis, so I don't practice what I preach very well.

Well' date=' as I've said before, I'm not really in favor of singing the praises of other manufacturer's guitars in Gibson's forum. But I guess, like poor hapless Hamilton Burger, I've opened the door. So, .... The few-year-old one is a Martin HJ-38 Stefan Grossman -- my first and, until a few days ago, only Martin -- and the new one is a Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Great players, and I understand that Stefan actually worked hard to help design that guitar to his specs as Node has said. IF those are the only two Martins you have, you have a nice collection in those two......

or the Nick Lucas. Or the various Chet Atkins. In my book' date=' a new model that meets player specs is [i']sigworthy[/i] . I dont mind [not that it mattes] using a sig to roll out a vintage model that's been out of production, the 00028ec being a case in point, though Im happier at the end of the day when the roll em over to vintage series (ex 0018 Eliz. Cotton to 0018v). Putting pearly widgets on the fretboard or what have you on a std model? Not so much.

Yeah...that Martin "Grand ol' Opry" model was a flop I think........and rightly so....

I think there is a difference between a "Signiture Model" like a Kristoferson SJ and a Nick Lucas ! The Lucas is an actual type of gitar the KK is just a signiture SJ [biggrin]

Archived