Gibson Brands Forums

Metal Jack Plate for R8

Bradmeister

Hi, Folks,

My plastic R8 jack plate is busted, and I'm looking at an All Parts metal replacement. However, the screw holes on it look a little large for the LP's screws. It does come with replacement screws, but I remember the strange things that had to be done to get a straplock on the R8.

So, anyone have experience with these? Are the replacement screws okay, or should I use the original ones if I can?

Thanks,

Brad

If the hole pattern is an identical match, I say use the larger screws. What's the worse case senario? You might want to put the original screws back in for originality? If you were really concerned about origionality, I'd be safe to assume you would have replaced the jack plate with an original Gibson replacement.

Cream plastic looks okay.

Broken cream plastic looks like sh!t.

I replaced several out of necessity, then finally on principle.

After awhile, I don't even notice the metal ones anymore.

Then I don't even think about 'em because they work.

Original 58s were plastic. I've left the plastic on my R8, but I think about it everytime I look at the metal one on my "cheapo" 79 The Paul (that I wouldn't sell for any price). 'Course the 79 has an ebony fretboard and plays & sounds like a million bucks. Go figure, I guess, huh.

I think I'd go with the original screws on the R8. Lots of ways to secure a strap too without a big deal you know. [lol]

Archived