Gibson Brands Forums

1942 J-45 Legend

NevadaPic

1942 J-45 Legend arrived via UPS earlier this week. It sounds fantastic and fit/finish is outstanding. It is the lightest dread I have ever played. It's amazing what light bracing, hide glue and outstanding tone wood can do for a guitar. It was produced full gloss. The red spruce top is about as close grain as you could hope for these days and very vibrant. Nut width is standard 1 23/32". For those who like chunky necks, this guitar does not disappoint. Setup perfect out of the box.

Now I know what is meant by string/note seperation. Bass is remarkable compared to what I am used to, sustain is incredible for a mahogany guitar. I mostly fingerpick w/ plastic thumbpick/fingerpick(s), this guitar really shines for this mode of playing. Red spruce makes for the perfect top wood I think. It creates a tone that I love but cannot describe. It's great that it is now more commonly available than it was for decades.

Pricey? If MSRP and MAP are any indication (which they are not). Everything is negotiable though. If you subtract MAP from MSRP (MSRP-MAP) for this guitar then subtract that amount from MAP (MAP - (MSRP-MAP)), my cost was still a few hundred less then that amount. There isn't a finer new Gibson for my money. This is what the recent sell off was about. I don't think I'll be buying any more guitars any time soon what with these beauties.

Dave

1937 L-00 Legend/1942 J-45 Legend

Legends33.jpg

Dave:

Congrats on the "42"!

I'm still lovin the AJ that we made the deal on.

All the best' date='

Jeff in Montreal[/quote']Jeff,

Hey Bud, thanks a million! I love the mahogany (and maple sometimes) though what can I say? That AJ is a fine guitar. It too is very lightweight and responsive.

Dave

Archived