Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson and string manufacture

Hall

To my knowledge the Illinois string plant closed down quite some time ago.... maybe even a year ago. I think it was posted here that Pearce was making Gibson strings under contract.

Just passing along what I heard, I can't substantiate it.

To my knowledge the Illinois string plant closed down quite some time ago.... maybe even a year ago. I think it was posted here that Pearce was making Gibson strings under contract.

Spot on, except that it's D'Addario, not Pearce. (But there have been a couple of Pearce connections. First, there was a fuss awhile ago when John posted something to another forum which appeared to coyly suggest that he manufactured Gibson strings but couldn't say so -- roughly, "I manufacture so many brands, I can't remember whether I make them for Gibson or not". A very explicitly worded statement that he did not was posted shortly after, which led to speculation that he heard from Gibson's lawyers. Second, some folks -- including yours truly -- have seen Pearce strings being put on new Gibsons at the factory in Bozeman. This was some years ago. The official story was that the use of Pearce strings was temporary, necessitated by supply problems.)

I was one of the folks who reported the "Elgin shut down, equipment sent to Nashville" story here. My source was the local Gibson sales rep, who's employed by that division.

I don't have an update.

-- Bob R

Soooo...... if the equipment was sent to Nashville, then there's always a chance they'll make them 'in house' again?

Just me moaning about the closure of any factory is all.

I must admit I don't buy many Gibson strings. I did buy a set of Gibson banjo strings last week. I think they were old stock, possibly 8 or 9 years old. Rudely heavy in the banjo scope, 12 to 25 or some such. Harder on the old tuners than anything. I don't mind the heft, in fact the next day I found a set of D'Addario banjo 9s here somewhere, put them on, and immediately put the Gibson 12s back on. It's weird having a wound 3rd though; maybe I should find a compromise.

Soooo...... if the equipment was sent to Nashville' date=' then there's always a chance they'll make them 'in house' again?[/quote']

The official line at the time was that the production by D'Addario was strictly temporary while production was transferred and, for all I know, the winders in Nashville are winding away right now. On the other hand, Gibson strings have lost most of their market share and have a reputation for not being very high quality -- a big change from the '60s, when they were generally thought of as top-of-the-line -- so maybe they decided not to bother.

I saw a proposal for a study written by some marketing students at a major midwestern university a few years ago. The objective was to determine the reasons for this change in perception of the brand. According to the students, Gibson had agreed to cooperate with them, because they had no idea and also wanted to find out. Unfortunately, I don't know what, if anything, came of the proposal, 'cause I'm curious too!

-- Bob R

I can only speak for myself when it comes to brand perception. When I was growing up, I'd walk into a music store and see Black Diamond and Gibson strings. BD was the 'everyday' string and Gibson was 'better'. Then in the 70s I leaned more towards Fender and later D'Addario because those were the brands most prominently displayed and/or advertised. They had many gauges available and they were affordable.

In the 80s and 90s odd things happened. The music stores I frequented may have a few sets of Gibson strings but they were usually big ol' flatwounds that sounded awful*, or those strange strings that were cut to length already.. I think they had a little cylinders on the ends or something, meant to just insert into the tuner holes and wind up. Later they had 'brite wires' or some catchy name. I'm not one for catchy names, I just want good strings at a good price. I'm suspicious of come-on names like Super Slinky or Snarling Dogs. In recent years mostly what I've seen are some acoustic strings in one gauge, 0.010", which I would never use on a full scale, structurally stable guitar. And they were priced much higher anyway.

*(D'Addario Chromes are good if you're on a budget, Thomastik Infield Jazz if you're feeling flush.)

I realize my own experience is tainted by some poor choices made by whomever was ordering strings, but the net effect is that when someone mentions strings, the Gibson name just doesn't float to the top like D'Addario.

I can't see Gibson claiming a big market share in strings, ever, but they could have a piece of the pie if they just cranked out a consistently good string under ten bucks a set, no fancy packaging necessary, and no gimmicky trade names or artist endorsement.

Thanks, Scott and Bob:

My info is the same as each of you. Original word was a restart would come under supervision of namesake son. Then the subject disappeared. I have always used Gibson strings and now, my supply is low. I knew it was D'A.... making them per the past breakdown. I was just hoping Gibson would get back to making their own. I figured it was actually a cost matter in hard times. But, I hoped differently and thought I would ask. Another era ends, I suppose. Much appreciated.

... Steve W

Thanks' date=' Scott and Bob:

My info is the same as each of you. Original word was a restart would come under supervision of namesake son. Then the subject disappeared. I have always used Gibson strings and now, my supply is low. I knew it was D'A.... making them per the past breakdown. I was just hoping Gibson would get back to making their own. I figured it was actually a cost matter in hard times. But, I hoped differently and thought I would ask. Another era ends, I suppose. Much appreciated.

... Steve W[/quote']

I heard the same about the potential restart of string production. I too, use Gibson strings almost exclusively, but I'm down to a few precious packs of Elgin-made. I have some D'A made Gibson branded packs, but they have some differences in individual string gauge in the sets...

Red 333

I have some D'A made Gibson branded packs' date=' but they have some differences in individual string gauge in the sets...

[/quote']

I believe that Elgin was making light sets in two different gauges before they closed. Bozeman was unhappy with the traditional Gibson light gauge (in particular, the .052 low E) and had Elgin making "industry-standard" 12-53 light gauge sets for their use as standard equipment on new guitars. When D'Addario took over, Gibson decided to cut back to only the 12-53 light gauge sets. AFAIK, D'Addario is using the same wires Gibson used -- even relatively small customers can get D'Addario to build strings to their specs (tho' many just have their own labels slapped on EJ-16/17s). If Gibson ever gets back into string production, I'd expect the gauges (and wires) to be the same as the current D'Addario-built sets -- the only difference will be due to differences in winding machine technology.

-- Bob R

I heard the same about the potential restart of string production. I too' date=' use Gibson strings almost exclusively, but I'm down to a few precious packs of Elgin-made. I have some D'A made Gibson branded packs, but they have some differences in individual string gauge in the sets...

Red 333

[/quote']

Red 333,

Good to know someone else is/was Gibson exclusive. On a Gibson I have always preferred real Gibson strings. Now what are we going to do?

... Steve W

Red 333' date='

Good to know someone else is/was Gibson exclusive. On a Gibson I have always preferred real Gibson strings. Now what are we going to do?

... Steve W[/quote']

I got a couple dozen sets of Vintage Reissue and Brite Wires left, and about a dozen Masterbuilt PB and J200 sets, and maybe 2 or three sets of L5s. I guess I'll hope I'll like the D'A made just as well...

Red 333

I got a couple dozen sets of Vintage Reissue and Brite Wires left' date=' and about a dozen Masterbuilt PB and J200 sets, and maybe 2 or three sets of L5s. I guess I'll hope I'll like the D'A made just as well...

Red 333[/quote']

We're in the same boat.

I think if Companies would build things here, with pride, they would be surprised at the amount of people willing to pay extra for products. I'm not one who shops for a "bargain" first. I HONESTLY look for "made in U.S.A. and will pay more everytime, without question.

If Gibson fired up the string winders, and wrote "Built with Pride in Nashville, Tn. by Gibson U.S.A." (or wherever they took the equipment) on the package I'd be happy to pay more.

(not double....... :-k )

I agree. One time I bought a whole bunch of Alice strings made in China. Ick. Never again. There's one product they haven't beaten us at! I don't even bother with made in Mexico Martins (which is all of them now I think).

Come on, Gibson, suck it up, grease up the string winders, put a handful of Americans to work and stamp "Made in USA" on every string package (and have it be true, btw!) and we will buy Gibson strings. Need a purchase agreement?

I shop for bargains too, but I feel more and more sick to my stomach every time I buy something that says Fabrique au Chine on it.

Cripes I bought a pack of underwear the other day and they're now made in Vietnam. So much for Inspector 12. Now it's Thanh tra mu?i hai.

H? không nói Hanes cho d?n khi tôi nói h? nói Hanes!!!!

(They don't say Hanes until I say they say Hanes!!!)

How can one tell if Gibson strings were made by Gibson in Elgin or by D'Addario? Are the packages different?

The Gibson-made have "Elgin, Illinois. Made in the U.S.A." on the back, below the Gibson logo. I have heard that some of the D'Addario made may also have used this package, until the old stock ran out.

Any 12-52 Masterbuilt sets are surely Elgin made, as D'Addario did not manufacture this set.

Red 333

The Gibson-made have "Elgin' date=' Illinois. Made in the U.S.A." on the back, below the Gibson logo. I have heard that some of the D'Addario made may also have used this package, until the old stock ran out. [/quote']

I mentioned in a different post that I had seen alot of Gibson strings hanging on the wall at Willcutt's Guitars in northern KY. I don't get through that area often but it may be worth a phone call to check them out. Ask for a guy named Will. http://www.willcuttguitars.com/

I'm bumping this thread as I was looking at a couple of sites that sell guitar strings online and noticed that some Gibson strings were advertised in packaging that's different from what I'm used to see.

For instance, my Elgin-made acoustic strings came in this packaging:

GibsonMasterbuilt12.jpg

But I noticed that Strings and Beyond is showing this packaging:

GibsonMasterbuilt13.gif

I would be curious to know whether the second one represents the new D'Addario-made Gibson strings. (Notwithstanding those that may have used the old packaging until they ran out)

I also wonder whether D'Addario makes the strings according to Gibson specs and trying to match the Elgin-made strings as closely as possible or if they're simply the exact same strings that D'Addario sells under its own name that they sell under the Gibson name.

The second pack from Strings & Beyond is similar to the banjo set I bought a couple weeks ago. I believe those have been hanging on the shelf for quite some time. They do say "Elgin, IL" on the back, for whatever that might be worth.

Gibson could have shipped the leftover packaging material to D'Addario so that might not be a good indicator.

I do notice the S&B set says 'vaccuum sealed for freshness'. My banjo set didn't say that. They were just in a regular old clear plastic sleeve. That by itself may have no bearing, just an observation.

Archived