Gibson Brands Forums

Visit Gibson

daveinspain

I'm thinking the next time I go home for a visit to take a trip to Tennessee... My 84 year old mother told me one thing she wants to do before she leaves this world is visit Graceland.... So while she still is in good enough heath to make such a journey I'd like to take her... Then it would make sense to go see the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. Hey isn't that where the Gibson factory is? Hmmmmmmmm.....

I would love to visit Nashville. I hear the food & restaurants are fantasitic as well.

My parents went down years ago and said the people we so friendly and the hospitality

was second to none.

I would have to visit Gibson..I would never forgive myself if I didnt.

I'm thinking the next time I go home for a visit to take a trip to Tennessee... My 84 year old mother told me one thing she wants to do before she leaves this world is visit Graceland.... So while she still is in good enough heath to make such a journey I'd like to take her... Then it would make sense to go see the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. Hey isn't that where the Gibson factory is? Hmmmmmmmm.....

I think you'd want at least a several of days to see and visit some of the different sites due to distance and traffic. If it were me, I'd do a day in Memphis, a day in dowtown Nashville, and a day around the Opry and tickets for the show towards the end of the day. This way you have the leisure to not rush and enjoy a little more of what you are seeing. Just keep in mind downtown Nashville requires a good deal of walking and going to some locations are hilly if you'll have your Mom with you.

I think you'd want at least a several of days to see and visit some of the different sites due to distance and traffic. If it were me' date=' I'd do a day in Memphis, a day in dowtown Nashville, and a day around the Opry and tickets for the show towards the end of the day. This way you have the leisure to not rush and enjoy a little more of what you are seeing. Just keep in mind downtown Nashville requires a good deal of walking and going to some location are hilly if you'll have your Mom with you.[/quote']

Some good points LPDEN... Sounds like you just planned a great trip!! I'd do it just that way... I took my Mom to Vegas a couple of years ago and rented her one of those little scooter buggy thing to do the strip... I ended up running after her!!! This time I'll try to rent a Segway for me!!!

I got to tour the Gibson factory and Custom Shop during the 1994 NAMM show. It was Gibson's 100th Anniversary year, so there was a lot going on. The factory tour was amazing, just seeing all these guitars in various stages of build. We saw everything from raw wood to final inspection.

Cool... Is there a shop where you can buy?

The Gibson showcase is right nearby where the Opry is located. You also have an entire mall there to shop, eat and do whatever if you find extra time on your hands.

I would love to visit Nashville. I hear the food & restaurants are fantasitic as well.

My parents went down years ago and said the people we so friendly and the hospitality

was second to none.

I would have to visit Gibson..I would never forgive myself if I didnt.

My wife and I love the region. While we live in NY for the majority of the year, we own a condo in Nashville where we spend alot of our leisure time after travelling in our RV. Kentucky being a short jaunt up 65 is also a nice place to visit. The Corvette aficianodo in me usually requires at stop off at the Nat'l Museum as well. So if you like vettes, that's also a possibilty for you too if you don't mind driving north about an hour give or take.

As for restaurants in and around Nashville, you'll never run out of places to try it seems. We like to go and watch the live bands along Broadway and usually grab a bite to eat nearby. And of course while your there, Gruhn's and the Ryman is right there as well.

I must say im not a country music fan.

When my folks would watch the Nashville network when I was younger I would look

at the guitars they were using...thats why I would watch. lol

some of the ladies were sweet too...

I must say im not a country music fan.

When my folks would watch the Nashville network when I was younger I would look

at the guitars they were using...thats why I would watch. lol

some of the ladies were sweet too...

I didn't grow up a country music fan either, but artists like Johhny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and some others always caught my ear. Early Rock and even rockabilly were always on my play list and of course groups that came along like Cream, Hendrix, Zep, Tull, and I can't leave out the Beatles and, Jimi, and even some of the 60's folk movement themes and influences which became a part of what I played and listened to. Contemporay Country music that doesn't cross the line to popular music is good listening for me, and my wife enjoys it as well. As you know, it's good to share some common ground music with your significant other. That's it for the two of us. She doesn't take to listening to my mostly constant rewind of 60's and 70's rock, but does okay with my emulation of Scotty Moore style stuff... I took listening to some punk, and some metal, but for the most part skipped the hair band 80's crap, er, stuff.

I like listening to new bands who tap the past but put their own spin on things. One band I really took to in the 90's was the Jayhawks. I liked their sound and songs. It's not too often you take to a band, but they were great. I still try and catch Gary Louris when he tours. I recently saw him at the Town Hall Theatre in NYC. A great show! And he plays some great riffs on his maestro-equipped SG.

I live in the Nashville area... about halfway between there and Bowling Green KY- home of the Corvette museum. Here is some info from another post on places to see in Nashville (and buy a Les Paul, maybe):

Gruhn's Guitars

Monday-Saturday

9:30am-5:30pm

615 256-2033

fax 615 255-2021

gruhn@gruhn.com

400 Broadway

Nashville, TN 37203

Could be one of the most famous shops in Nashville.

Gibson Showcase at Opry Mills

161 Opry Mills Drive

Nashville, TN 37214

Phone: 615-514-2200 ext 2231

This is Gibson heaven... Electrics, acoustics, mandolins... dobros.... plan to spend some time and take the tour.... and count on sticker shock as they reflect MSRP.

Guitar Center Nashville

721 Thompson Lane

Nashville, Tennessee 37204

Phone: 615-297-7770

Fax: 615-297-7670

Store Hours:

M-F: 10-9 | Sat: 10-8 | Sun: 12-6

The "Walmart" of musical equipment. Very player friendly. Much cheaper sticker price than the Gibson Showcase, but buyer beware as most guitars are accessible to the public.

Also... plan to spend some time on Beale Street in Memphis.... cuz it would be a shame to miss the Home of the Memphis Blues while you were there...

Let me know if there are any other places I can get info on for you :-k

Hey LPDEN, I'm a Corvette fanatic too... I dont 'have one now but I have had three... A 68, my first which I converted to a Maco Shark, a 74 and my last vette was an 84 which I brought with me to Spain... I sold it a few years back and bought a Harley....

Gruhn's is a must... leave your American Express in the car ... Tell George I sent ya *wink*

If there is a show at the Ryman I would recomend it .

And get your picture taken with the bronze statue of Chet ...

And the Hotel Preston is an interesting place to stay ...

Hey LPDEN' date=' I'm a Corvette fanatic too... I dont 'have one now but I have had three... A 68, my first which I converted to a Maco Shark, a 74 and my last vette was an 84 which I brought with me to Spain... I sold it a few years back and bought a Harley.... [/quote']

My one and only Corvette was a 1966 I bought from a friend in 1987, who was going through a divorve at the time, It was a driver, had the orginal trans and engine, but not in all that great shape otherwise (floorboards, windshield, all the rubber seals and exhaust from the manifold back had to go and gas tank had to go due to rust). I got it back to a solid daily driver condition, but sold it in the mid 90's when it started to need more work again (clutch, suspension, etc,,) and I just wasn't into it. I sold it to my brother-in-law who still has it. Did the Harley thing too, had a '98 FLHTCI I bought new that my wife and I did alot of riding on togther (really enjoyed that). That was sold when we bought our first RV. So the now I am both Corvette-less and bike-less, but RV-full...O:)

The good news I don't abandon my guitars like I do cars and bikes... O:)

I used to travel to Nashville once a month for business, from 1985-1989. I worked right downtown, just up the street from Broadway. I would walk down to visit Gruhn's on my lunch break.

At the time, it seemed as if Gruhn's and Ernest Tubb's Record Shop were the only reputable businesses in the neighborhood! Everything else was peep shows and adult bookstores. I remember watching the police loading their paddywagons with shirtless men, as they made various raids on these naughty businesses.

When I went back in 1993, all these businesses were gone. Broadway became tourist and family friendly. I'm heading back in June for summer NAMM, first time I'll be in Nashville since 1997. I'll be curious to see what things are like now.

Archived