Gibson Brands Forums

what are my options?

Nick Beach

in getting a Gibson acoustic for cheap? I've seen old LGO's going for cheap, but not really my style. I'd kill everyone on here for one of those Keb Mo guitars but I'm 18, and it took me two years to save for my SG Standard which is half the price of the Keb Mo guitar. But this summer I'm going to 'Discover America' or thats what I'm calling it anyway. Ever since I saw the movie Into the Wild I've been dying on just going around the country and see what it has to offer. I'm saving so I can spend my summer driving and having fun. I'm an eagle scout so I'm going to use my back woods skills and just go. I want more than anything in the whole world to be able to do this with a Gibson acoustic, but I can't afford much. So what models do you guys recommend for me to check out? I'm obviously looking for used since I can't afford new, and I never really use a pick with acoustics so a smaller flattop would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well I would say getting an actual gibson for under a grand would be an amazing score. If you only wanna drop like 150 bones then you could get an artist humming bird from epiphone. Or if you want to hound ebay you might be able to score an ej-200 for that though it will probably be either fairly used or have a small factory defect. I decided to pick up a cheap epiphone my self to tide me over until I can build what's basically a j-45 in a smaller body though that is largely a decision based around the fact I have most of the tools I need.

Having tried one recently, I'd vote Epi EL00. Great small bodied acoustic, cheap as hell and great tone for the money. If I was you, I'd grab one, get a pro setup and have a bone saddle and nut made for it. You'll be set.

I spend 2/3rds of the year travelling around the UK and Europe with two Gibson acoustics, my Hummingbird and SJ200 (I'm a touring musician) and although I wouldn't part with either for love nor money, it's no walk in the park to travel with them-I'm constantly worried about humidity, temperature, making sure they don't get stolen from the car/bus, making sure road crew don't chuck them about or knock them over when they're out on stands etc etc.

Part of me would like to play an Epi that I don't have to worry or care about too much...but then I pick up my SJ200 and it's such an inspiring instrument that I can't imagine it not being by my side. My Hummingbird is incredible too, but not quite as loose as the '200, which has had 7yrs of playing in, and probably has enough air miles on it to qualify it for a carbon footprint bigger than most people!

Your Kerouacian quest sounds great. It's always good to speak to a fellow road dog.

I'm liking what I see of the epi, but I'll have to try one the fact that it doesn't have solid woods is making me nervous. I'm also looking into the epi masterbuilt.

I'm planning on taking my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a couple of reasons including but not limited to:

1) It's the only car I have

2) Plenty of room for my stuff

3) I can fold down the back seats and have a bed bigger than mine at home [crying]

and Jinder it's nice to hear from you. I'm actually a touring musician too. I go out with whoever calls me with a need. I'm at home right now for the rest of March but I'm heading out in April. Touring is actually the second thing that makes me want to do this. When we go on the road it's all about getting to the next city as quick as possible. So I've seen a lot of really cool places, but I've seen them through a van window. This time I want to avoid the city's I want to meet all the people I've passed and see all the places I didn't have time for before.

When I go out I play mostly electric but I play Ovation's when I go for acoustic. I chose to play ovation's because of they feel similar to electrics, and I don't have to worry about humidity and factors like that as much as a standard acoustic. and I know what you mean about bringing an epi out, my SG Standard is about a year and a half old but looks 10 years old. But it is just the guitar that fits me better than any other so I can't leave it home.

I'm glad to take this trip, although I feel like I'm searching for something I won't quite find but I need to try. If that makes any since.

You're 18?? Thinking back to when I was your age (don't you love it when old guys say that to you? :-& ), I busted around a bit. You could hitchhike back then- I didn't even have a car that I'd trust to drive more than 10 miles from home.

Back when I hit the road, I bought a Harmony guitar and it was just right. Today, you can get a Recording King for about $300; A good price for a decent traveling guitar. And no worries about trashing an expensive instrument. I don't know about you, but some of the places I ended up, it's just as well I didn't have a lot of money tied up in a guitar, if you know what I mean...

You're 18?? Thinking back to when I was your age (don't you love it when old guys say that to you? [drool] )' date=' I busted around a bit. You could hitchhike back then- I didn't even have a car that I'd trust to drive more than 10 miles from home.

Back when I hit the road, I bought a Harmony guitar and it was just right. Today, you can get a Recording King for about $300; A good price for a decent traveling guitar. And no worries about trashing an expensive instrument. I don't know about you, but some of the places I ended up, it's just as well I didn't have a lot of money tied up in a guitar, if you know what I mean...[/quote']

hey Hoss

You must be my alter ego in the US ( you poor divil)

Hitchhiking? (only on way to a CND protest with that blonde hippychick ....Suzy wasn't it?)

Busted? ( Sure was, the head of the drug squad in Bath where I lived was called Terry Stamp ( honest) he busted me for carry an 'erb, got off with a caution.

I rewarded him by taking his daughter to a CND protest ( Suzy wasn't it?)

Car ( Yes my first was a 1937 Morris convertible which in the year I owned it did just 102 miles)

BIG confirmation re the $300 Recording King. Sure you need a few more quid to chane Nut, saddle and machine heads but everyone I know has done that on the Epi too.

I did on my Epi J200 clone and I love it!

Ok guys thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to check out the epi soon. Would a guitar of that style have a generic hard case I could use?

I'm also looking into the recording kings. There was a Troubadour I believe they call it that looks really nice.

But I'm also still looking at some Gibson's on eBay. For the record I was never really looking for a guitar in the greatest shape. Something like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-J-50ADJ-Acoustic-Guitar-J50-J-50-ADJ_W0QQitemZ220570434249QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item335b05bac9#ht_3740wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1969-GIBSON-LG-0-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ220568495466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item335ae8256a#ht_1444wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Gibson-acoustic-guitar-In-storage-for-years_W0QQitemZ260565337459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3caae78573#ht_500wt_1182

Just so you know what I'm thinking about when I go for when looking at Gibson's.

Archived