Gibson Brands Forums

Play Ball!

Californiaman

First little league game of the season.

My team won 6-2.

Rocky start logistically, but as soon as the game started, we scored five runs in the first inning.

My older boy came to the plate with the bases loaded and hit a two-run double.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful season.

Awesome, good luck to your team. I grew up playing Little League Baseball. Then I grew up and they wouldn't let me play no more, so I took my ball and went home. LOL.

Actually when I got into High School, my coach only played me 2 innings the whole season. Not because of my capabilities, because I wasn't one of his favorites. Didn't go out for the team the next year. Concentrated more on my guitar playing.

My favorite LL memory is waking up with my head in the lap of the coach's wife, after having been knocked flat out by a missed throw from third to home. Runner slud in and took my feet out, when my hands went down instinctively, the ball arrived at my right eye. I think I'd'a had the guy, too! LOL!

Best wishes to you and your team, Todd, hope it's a lotta fun. [laugh]

My favorite LL memory is waking up with my head in the lap of the coach's wife' date=' after having been knocked flat out by a missed throw from third to home. Runner slud in and took my feet out, when my hands went down instinctively, the ball arrived at my right eye. I think I'd'a had the guy, too! LOL!

Best wishes to you and your team, Todd, hope it's a lotta fun. [biggrin

Ah yes, the glory years! Seems like yesterday...

"Slud"... sounds like ole Dizzy Dean.

Ah yes' date=' the glory years! Seems like yesterday...

"Slud"... sounds like ole Dizzy Dean.

[/quote']

LOL! Man, I wore that shiner with enormous pride. It was so big I think it must'a been two weeks before I could even put the catcher's mask on again. My folks found a little ceramic statue of a kid in catcher's rig gettin' smacked in the eye with the ball and gave it to me. It's now one of my more treasure mementos...right about 50 years old, it is.

And the Little League big wigs decided, from that moment onward, that any catcher HAD to have a catcher's mitt. I'd been using my fielder's glove because lefty catcher's mitts were rare as hen's teeth and somewhat costly. That's another thing I still have today. [biggrin]

Yeah guys,

I remember getting knocked out by a bad bounce early one day on the diamond.

Shortstop. The ball took a bad hop and nailed me right in the chin. I woke up in the dug out dazed, but read to play.

They wouldn't let me though.

Things are changing though in the little league community. Kids these days would rather stay in doors playing video games all day long instead of playing catch, three flies up, and over the line.

God I used to play over the line everyday during the summer when I was a kid.

Thanks for the well wishes. We're going to be fine.

I still love baseball. But I think a lot of people now days don't have the patience or attention span for it. They want instant gratification and non stop action. They don't want to appreciate the nuances and strategies involved.

Archived