Gibson Brands Forums

With some bashing Gibson, here's why I play a Gibby...

kebob

kebob,

Thanks for sharing! I also found your version of "These Days" and wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it.

By the way, I've always thought that Jackson Browne was one of the single greatest proponents of what a great Gibson acoustic is all about. Ironically, I started surfing youtube looking for videos of Jackson playing this tune - in the videos I happened upon he was sporting a McAlister guitar in place of his favored Gibsons. The McAlister sounds great, but then so do his various Gibbies.

Anyway, glad you posted your link.

All the best,

Guth

I know that no guitar company can create every guitar that is a winner...... if the guitar is NOT a winner, just leave it in the store. All I know is that the two I have are winners, and that is why I bought them.....to each his own, if you like yours, keep them and play them, if not....just move on.........simple enough

Is the guitar being amplified vis the Baggs M1A??? Or is that the raw acoustic sound?? (Sorry' date=' TV's on and listening through laptop speakers).[/quote']

No -- the guitar (and my voice) was unplugged and completely au naturale. I was using a run-of-the-mill Sony digital camcorder to record it.

kebob' date='

Thanks for sharing! I also found your version of "These Days" and wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it.

By the way, I've always thought that Jackson Browne was one of the single greatest proponents of what a great Gibson acoustic is all about. Ironically, I started surfing youtube looking for videos of Jackson playing this tune - in the videos I happened upon he was sporting a McAlister guitar in place of his favored Gibsons. The McAlister sounds great, but then so do his various Gibbies.

Anyway, glad you posted your link.

All the best,

Guth[/quote']

Thank you for the kind words, Guth. I fell in love with JB's "These Days" version off his solo acoustic album from the first time I heard it -- what a great song it is. Funny -- I can play that song flawlessly 99 times out of a 100, but the minute the record light went on, I couldn't get through it without flubbing a few times. Finally, I just said "screw it" and slapped it up there. [lol]

Thanks again, Guth, for enduring.

I know that no guitar company can create every guitar that is a winner...... if the guitar is NOT a winner' date=' just leave it in the store. All I know is that the two I have are winners, and that is why I bought them.....to each his own, if you like yours, keep them and play them, if not....just move on.........simple enough[/quote']

You know this is my Philsophy Wiley ! :)

Kebob' date=' does your J45 have an adirondack top ?[/quote']

Nope, regular old sitka spruce top and mahogany B/S.

It does have a nice tone to it -- I purchased it on a whim: wandered into the music store and it was the featured guitar that day, reduced price to $1,500. Picked it up and couldn't leave without it.

The thing that amazes me about my J45 (and probably all others) is the lightness of it. It's a completely different animal than my Martin HD28, which is significantly heavier. They are great contrasting guitar models and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful that I'm lucky enough to have them.

Nice one kebob..... and I love the Jackson Browne tune you did also.

Singing is a very personal thing.... it is your "voice" and even more than guitar playing....singing is YOU. Takes major brass ones to do it and you should be damned proud that you put a part of yourself out there.

I prefer people who are NOT perfect and I prefer voices and singing that is not perfect. That is the true sound of the human voice.

Thanks for sharing.

Nodehopper, that is one cool post. I appreciate the kind words. I'm going to keep singing and see if I can improve it. I've never worked on it, so hopefully I have improvement I can do.

Thanks again, brother.

Archived