Gibson Brands Forums

My ratio of LP's to SG's has changed. New guitar day!

Twiz

So, I sold my SG Special Faded earlier this week. I bought this from a guy on eBay. UPS delivered it last night. It's a 1998 Les Paul Special. I swear, the previous owner just bought it and never took it out of the case. When I opened up the case, my friend and I just couldn't believe the awesome condition that the 12 year old guitar was in. -No fret wear, no buckle rash, not even any scratches from a pick! I spent the evening doing my usual stuff (straploks, speed knobs, lemon oil on the fred board, setting the action & intonation, and top-wrapping the tailpiece), now she plays like butter. Something else that I thought was really cool about my new LP is the body is all one piece of wood. -Even my SG standard has some lines where I can tell there's a glue joint. SG's are still my favorite though. Anyway, I'm super excited for this new guitar, and I just wanted to post some photos.

108_4X6.jpg

111_4X6.jpg

118_4X6.jpg

Thanks guys. Also, to answer your questions...

That looks cool! What kind of pickups are in it?

I'm not sure' date=' I think it's a 490R, and a 498T.

...Came this close to buying one about a dozen times on Ebay' date=' but they always sold beyond my comfort zone.[/quote']

Yeah, I've been looking for a while. I got this one for pretty cheap. -I paid for it with the $$ I got for my SG faded, and still kept $50.

...I like the dot inlays' date=' they look subtle and let that beautiful rosewood be exposed. Is it just a mahogany body with no maple top and natural finish?[/quote']

Yes, it's just a piece of mahogany (no cap) with a natural finish. The grain is starting to get darker now that the wood is getting older, I'm pretty hyped to see how it changes. The lack of a maple top makes it a little lighter too, so that's a bonus.

Archived