Gibson Brands Forums

Please help identify my 12-string acoustic

Charles Obscure

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and was wondering if you folks could assist me in identifying what model is my Gibson 12-string acoustic. It's missing the truss rod cover and pickguard. The serial number is 955232, there are no markings inside. I think iit may be a 1968, but I'm not sure.

Here is a picture:

Gibson12string_50.jpg

If you need some more specific pictures of the tuners, etc., I could do that.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

Robroy, it sounds very good. It was given to me in somewhat poor condition, as the bridge was starting to pull up from the top, among other things. I had it repaired and it's a joy to play. I'd like to find a replacement pickguard and truss rod cover to dress it up a bit.

Acousticat, thank you for the info. Is there a place to find history and pictures of these guitars? I'm curious to see similar models. Most of the pictures of B25N guitars I've been able to find have a large pickguard and don't have the triangle inlays in the headstock.

Charles,

I got my B-25-12 in similar condition to yours; the bridge was pulling up and the middle of the soundboard was sinking in. I had the bridge re-glued and the installed a JLD bridge doctor that brought the soundboard up quite a bit. I think I was kind of lucky that it turned out so nice because the action just fell into place and everything. It's a nice playing and wonderful sounding 12 stringer.

I've heard great things about the B-45-12 too. Congratulations on yours!

Robert

Thanks for the info, everyone!

TommyK, I put the serial number and details about the stamping and came up with:

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA

approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

eusa_clap.gif

I'm guessing that it shouldn't be too difficult to find a replacement pickguard and truss rod cover. It's kinda ugly with that old glue patch there. Any recommendations for a source from you experts out there?

Any Gibson dealer should be able to order you a truss rod cover and pickguard. You can also buy after market ones. Here is a source for truss rod covers.

http://www.custominlay.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=149

Here is a source for pickguards.

http://securityassuredsites.com/cgi-bin/guitargal/commerce.cgi?product=Accessories

I was at a Bluegrass Jam Saturday. Thanks to Gibson Forums and all you super smart

Gibsonites, I knew that the guit tar a feller was playin' was a B-25 (or B-45). It had

the larger upper bout in proportion to the lower and the unique pick guard. Next time

I see him I'll ask which it is.

Archived