Gibson Brands Forums

X Pel plastic protection

Waterndirt

Something tells me this guy is about to post some magical hi tech product to aply to the back of the guitar and protect it, with no nitro damages.

No way... just trying to preserve what I think is a piece of art for many many years to come. Picked up my first LP a year ago and yesterday I bought a 137. Can't stand to watch them slowly degrade but I'm not going to stop playing them. I agree 100% with evol...

No way... just trying to preserve what I think is a piece of art for many many years to come. Picked up my first LP a year ago and yesterday I bought a 137. Can't stand to watch them slowly degrade but I'm not going to stop playing them. I agree 100% with evol...

Post some pics bro

RE: "Belt rash."

Well, in the olden days at least you could always tell if the guys wearing hats, boots and big belt buckles were guitar players or were planning to play a bit - they'd wear the belt buckle waaaaay over above the back of the left front pocket.

I still tend toward doing that myself.

My old Gretsch that I stupidly swapped had that leather back thingie that snapped on.

m

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know about that product but had a buddy buy a new LP and he put this strange felt backing guitar protector on the back that supposedly was "safe for all guitar finishes" he was so proud of it he brought it over to show me how cool it was. I warned him about Nitro finishes especially new ones and he said nope it is like a post it note look as he peeled up the edge showing me almost perfect bubbled up orange peel in exactly the shape of this so cold finish protector. I'm sure it's lasted well though and it's a good thing because no way in hell he can take it off without a refinish.

Just saying almost anything can and will damage a LP finish.

Belt rash is natural wear and tear as far as I am concerned.

It tells me the guitar was played live and broken in.

Sounds like a rationale for wife-beating...

:-)

I did the Milod trick sliding my belt buckle around years ago.

Now that I live in Arizona and dress 'Arizona casual' all the time (shorts/t-shirt) it's no worry.

I wear only 100% cotton, so you know it's all good!

I have guitars older than I am with lotsa miles and gigs on 'em that still look damned good.

No excuse for abuse.

I know plenty of players who disagree with me, several in Texas who play in their full Cowboy Uniform.

Kinda funny to listen to them talk about their guitar deals when they buy/sell/trade.

They never wanna discuss exactly how little their old guitar fetched in trade with the back all f-ed up.....

And Milod,

My sister (well, her husband) has a 1965 Gretsch Chet Atkins with the big leather thang on the back.

This outfit:

http://www.kling-on.com/

used to sell their product in 'sheet' form. I think it was close to 8.5" X 11". Their site doesn't seem to confirm that anymore. Why not contact them to explain your use. They may have just forgotten to add that product to their latest web-site update, or, they could resurrect that old bulk product.

Neo...

Yeah, I was pretty stupid in letting mine go for a solidbody years ago. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

@#$%#$%#%#$%@#$%@

BTW, another one I have to watch out for is metal vest buttons. Probably an unusual thing for folks on this forum, but... hey, I've worn one almost all the time for years.

In the olden days when one would wear a jacket and tie to play, one had metal blazer buttons to be concerned about.

m

I strongly disadvise playing nekked.

It's my observation - and this is not joking, btw - that body oils, etc., likely are not good for the finish of our guitars.

But then... I never wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts, either.

Note the binding for the bodies of guitars; note the use in some instances of even a forearm guard on a few instances of fine thin body guitars to protect the edge/finish from sweat and skin oils.

Hey Neo... I've done the same when it's chilly outside and humidity is low in the house back in my little guitar/office. But I think it's likely not really a good idea. I'd not do it in more humid climes.

m

I caught this thread via Google Alerts as I work for XPEL. A couple of years ago we had kicked around the idea of using our film to protect various guitars from normal wear and tear. I live in Austin and I know how important instruments are to their owners. We cannot gaurantee how the film will work out but we are willing to provide some free samples to whomever is interested.

We know that this is a great product to protect your car and/or smartphone with but we would like to have real feedback if this would be good for your guitars. If you are interested in a FREE sample please reach out to me with an address and we will be glad to ship it to you.

All The Best,

E

[crying]

Most cool indeed!

Thanks for the info.

How does this apply where nitrocellulose lacquer is concerned?

That's what makes the Gibson guys nervous, the finish is very vulnerable to discoloration.

Most other guitars are a stable poly-type finish.

The adhesive is the question.

How about some sort of static-cling thing?

I know the charge is an issue - wood maybe don't cooperate?

SRVAustin...

Yeah, I think a lot of the guys, myself included, would be concerned about the effect of an unknown chemistry on various sorts of finishes on woods that may also have various types of glues involved in the guitar construction.

XPEL would be a concern to me even on a guitar on which the finish might be "fine" with a coating of some sort, but which might affect various glues, especially those of more natural derivation.

To put it bluntly, I'd be scared, myself, unless I had more of a "painted" guitar such as some brands use.

And frankly, since some of those I'd be most concerned about are in the 30+ year old range, I really haven't the slightest idea of the actual composition of the finish.

What do you think? I really don't know the product.

m

I think that is what they are trying to determine. Someone needs to volunteer to make a nitrocellulose finished guitar a guinea pig.

Does anyone have one of those nitro coated guit tars that one more splotch wouldn't make much of a difference?

They'll make you famous. [biggrin]

I'm not rich enough, yet, to afford one of them fancy dancy guit tars. Mine are all protected with bullet proof PU.[biggrin]

Archived