Gibson Brands Forums

Another volcano sacrifice to please the Gods

NeoConMan

Tourist falls into active volcano crater on Bali

(AP)

BALI, Indonesia – A Swedish tourist fell to his death into the crater of an active volcano Wednesday

on the Indonesian resort island of Bali. The 25-year-old man and two friends were on a pre-dawn hike

along the rim of the crater of 5,633-foot (1,717-meter) Mount Batur when he fell in, local police chief

Capt. Made Oka said.

Rescuers spotted the man's body inside the dry crater at a depth of about 500 feet (150 meters),

Oka said. Officials believe the man did not survive the initial impact of the fall.

(No sh!t....)

"Rescuers are now in the process of evacuating the body," Oka said, adding that poor weather

around the crater may slow the efforts.

Mount Batur, which has erupted 26 times since 1840, is about 40 miles (60 kilometers) northeast of

the provincial capital, Denpasar. It last erupted in 2000 and is considered an active volcano.

It regularly lets off steam.

Oka said the route the tourists were hiking is considered safe and accidents there are uncommon.

Another one takes himself out of the gene pool. Hopefully BEFORE he had a chance to breed! lets see-a predawn was it walk around the crater of an active volcano that has a 500foot drop. Apparently no one in his party thought to take proper gear and do the hike safely.

It always makes me wonder when stories like this come out and everyone is shocked that someone is killed like that it happens at the Grand Canyon on a fairly regular basis and people seem shocked. Why it's the worlds largest hole in the ground millions travel from all over the world to see the canyon and some idiot get's to close and falls in and then everyone is shocked and talks about how safe it normally is? Come on it's a cliff all cliffs are safe right up until you take one step too many than gravity wins every time.

Sorry to over react but I was just reading on another site a post written by some poor victim who lost his right arm to a shark ( so I guess he wrote the article left handed [angry] ) I thought how tragic, since as a surfer I always read about shark attacks and what occurred and though tragic it happens when were in the sharks world. Well the story continued and this Einstein wanna be was holding a bloody piece of meat teasing sharks so his friends could take pictures when surprise one bit him tearing off his arm (hope they got a picture of that). The guy was complaining because no one warned him that this could happen and other people were doing it also.

The story stated that though no lawsuits have been filed the man is talking to attorney's about his case ( you would think he already had enough dealings with the sharks). The hotel he was staying at had no comment [cool]. they should sue him for littering.

Tourist falls into active volcano crater on Bali

(AP)

BALI' date=' Indonesia – A Swedish tourist fell to his death into the crater of an active volcano Wednesday

on the Indonesian resort island of Bali. The 25-year-old man and two friends were on a pre-dawn hike

along the rim of the crater of 5,633-foot (1,717-meter) Mount Batur when he fell in, local police chief

Capt. Made Oka said.

Rescuers spotted the man's body inside the dry crater at a depth of about 500 feet (150 meters),

Oka said. Officials believe the man did not survive the initial impact of the fall.[/b']

(No sh!t....)

"Rescuers are now in the process of evacuating the body," Oka said, adding that poor weather

around the crater may slow the efforts.

Mount Batur, which has erupted 26 times since 1840, is about 40 miles (60 kilometers) northeast of

the provincial capital, Denpasar. It last erupted in 2000 and is considered an active volcano.

It regularly lets off steam.

Oka said the route the tourists were hiking is considered safe and accidents there are uncommon.

And now someone has to risk their own life to retrieve the body [biggrin]

I live in Nova Scotia, it's a beautiful place and tourism accounts for a lot of the Province's income. There's a place here called "Peggy's Cove" it's a shoreline of HUGE granite boulders, and a lighthouse. It's also home to some pretty rough tides given that there's no beach, just rocks. Some people might remember the Swissair 111 disaster, that was offshore of Peggy's Cove. Rocks get slippery in rain and spray, and some tourists refuse to acknowledge this, resulting in multiple deaths from people falling off the big rocks, onto smaller rocks and waves below, and then someone has to go get their body out. I guess the belief is that if it's only a 20-40 foot drop into water they could swim to saftey, neglecting the fact that you fall ONTO rocks, then get pounded by the surf.

There is however, a nice giftshop there with lots of knick-knacks and polished shiny gemstones. There's also a cafe that has fresh sea-food chowder. If you're not predisposed to pushing your luck I highly recommend you see Peggy's Cove in your lifetime.

Sorry to over react but I was just reading on another site a post written by some poor victim who lost his right arm to a shark ( so I guess he wrote the article left handed [thumbup] ) I thought how tragic' date=' since as a surfer I always read about shark attacks and what occurred and though tragic it happens when were in the sharks world. Well the story continued and this Einstein wanna be was holding a bloody piece of meat teasing sharks so his friends could take pictures when surprise one bit him tearing off his arm (hope they got a picture of that). The guy was complaining because no one warned him that this could happen and other people were doing it also.

[/quote']

Give the guy a break, clearly he had never seen or ever heard of a shark before. He probably thought is was a dolphin...or a puppy dog.

Archived